Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Line and Disconnections

Jessica
Grafter

Noisy Line and Disconnections

Can someone advise me?
I’ve got a noisy line and lots and lots of disconnections.
I’m unable to stay connected for longer than two minutes.
Both ‘DSL’ and ‘Internet’ lights goes out, then the DSL light starts flashing and the a few seconds later the Internet will start flashing.
I disconnected for about 20 - 30 seconds at a time.
This all started about 20:00 last night (Thursday).
It’s very very aannoying.
2 REPLIES 2
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Noisy Line and Disconnections

Hi Jessica,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing.
If you haven't done so already I would advise raising a fault here: http://faults.plus.net
Our Faults team will then investigate this and raise this to our suppliers if required. I hope this is resolved for you soon.
Adie:green fixed links
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Noisy Line and Disconnections

Hi Jessica,
As you've said you've got a noisy line, what happens if you unplug the broadband router and plug the phone handset (preferably corded and not cordless) directly in to the master socket? Do this, dial 17070 and then use option 2. If there is still noise on the line then proceed to step 3. If not then:
Step 1: Have you tried using an alternative microfilter? The filters are responsible for removing the broadband 'noise' from the frequencies used for voice service  (and stopping the voice 'noise' from spilling over in to the broadband part of the line). If that clears up the noise you should see an improvement in a few days with the broadband.
Step 2: Do you have any other equipment on the phone line (Sky Box, etc) That should also have a filter connected to it. Fit / replace the filters and return to step 1.
Step 3: If your phone service is with BT and not Plusnet and is noisy, I'd recommend that you contact BT about the noise on the line (do not mention broadband at all) and have them fix the voice fault. That usually fixes the broadband issues.
If you fix the noise on the line problems by switching / adding microfilters and the broadband disconnections still occur, then raise a fault as per Linn's advice.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)