cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin jumped up to 15dB today (Exchange enabled for 21CN)

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Noise Margin jumped up to 15dB today (Exchange enabled for 21CN)

Quote from: Jameseh
£10 says I can get it changed within 6 hours...

Thanks James - £10 attached.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Dodgydog
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Quote from: Jameseh
£10 says I can get it changed within 6 hours...

I know you can get it changed quickly, but as it happens I've just submitted a "fault report".
I just know that I'll get stuff about filters etc...
I'll repeat what I said and it'll get to networks...
They will request BT to change it.
Nothing will happen.
I'll ask them to forward it to you - and things will happen!
PS Can I keep my £10? (please?) - I've every confidence in you.

;Di am so happy that i am not the only one who suffers from hitting head against wall syndrome Grin
BT screw up line to slower than dial up speed , 3 different routers,4 filters,3 cables later am asked to check them again Cheesy . ah to stabilize my line it needs interleaving switched on, it must be cos its so long , a massive 16 metre .PN finally got interleaving off but am still relying on router to hold down line curent stats DOWN 8096 att 8.0 noise 11.9 UP 448 Att 7.0 noise 23.0  Prior to messing around it was perfect and constant 8128 conection
VileReynard
Hero

Because the builders upset my connection - the repeated attempts to get sync caused my profile to 500Kbps  Angry
James has reduced my noise margin to the promised 6dB - so I have to sit and wait for 3 days for my speed to come back.
I suggest you post a bit of history on your line and ask for a reset noise margin to be actioned.
I try to take a speed test every day or so.
If possible, run a script to build a history of your router stats.
These results can be shown if there is any talk of line stability - and you can spot long term trends.

Laser
Grafter

I've been going through the "proper" CSC route requesting my margin be set to 9dB from 15dB for nearly a month now.  Sad  After the usual round of speed tests, BT line checks, powering the router on and off, rinse and repeat, I've finally heard that it has been set to 9dB...
Except it's actually set to 12dB.  Roll_eyes
Considering the flurry of posts from people with similar problems, I think we can consider that BT are playing games. I can only assume this is in order to reduce load on their systems. Other conspiracy theorists can come up with their own ideas.
UnacceptableAngry
Plusnet staff here are being quite laid back about the ease with which the change should be made. Can I please ask that they instead investigate why this supposedly simple issue is being met with such resistance?
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Laser
Plusnet staff here are being quite laid back about the ease with which the change should be made. Can I please ask that they instead investigate why this supposedly simple issue is being met with such resistance?

I disagree.
PN have to request BT to make the noise margin adjustment - but if requests are made for noise ratios which are not sustainable, then BT may refuse to honour future requests.
If PlusNet know that you are a broadband-literate person who has a stable installation with an appreciation of all the factors, then they will pass the request to BT to make the change quickly - especially if you also place a polite note in this forum.
The service I get on issues like this is incomparably better than my previous ISP.

Laser
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
PN have to request BT to make the noise margin adjustment - but if requests are made for noise ratios which are not sustainable, then BT may refuse to honour future requests.

I realise that PN can only request BT set the value and then the actual implementation is up to BT. However, it is clear from posts made by PN staff in this and other threads that they don't think this should be a big deal. However, it has taken over three weeks for my request through official channels to result in a change by BT, and that still not properly.
I'm not blaming PN for that. I'm asking PN to investigate why a bunch of people have started reporting 15dB margins and can't easily get it changed properly. Rate-adaptive DSL seems to be very quick to adapt downwards, but mighty unwilling to adapt upwards.
The service I get on issues like this is incomparably better than my previous ISP.

It is precisely for that reason that I raise the question. With most other ISP's "support" I wouldn't even have bothered wasting my breath with the original request.
VileReynard
Hero

It's my opinion that a major cause of these current problems is enablement  of "21CN Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) service" in my exchange.
Exchange list http://www.samknows.com/broadband/btwbc-league.php
Of course, it could just be a coincidence...

Laser
Grafter

Nice theory... but it doesn't hold for me - my exchange isn't enabled yet. (Due next year.)
However, Sky/Easynet have just enabled their LLU kit in it. Maybe they've stolen some of my dB's! Wink Tongue
godsell4
Rising Star

Your exchange may not have 'been enabled' and it may also be 'many months before it is' but it seems likely there will be work going on many weeks or months before that date at the exchange to make it ready.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Ours was due to be enabled at the end of June (but doesn't show yet as having been done) so I reckoned the inexplicable tripling of our noise margin could be to do with the work going on there. At least it's keeping down to 9dB since I telnetted the router, thank to the advice of Jeremy aka AofE.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
baldrick
Grafter

Are you there jamesh?
If so, I could not help noticing that you have the power - to get SNR tweeked that is.
I have been having a problem for weeks now after an unjustified jump to 15dB and would appreciate your input. Ticket 25513643 refers.
Regards
VileReynard
Hero

James came through for me  Grin
After the 6db reset, I had to wait 3 days for the BRAS profile to notice that I was syncing at a much higher rate.
I now have a 7Mbps profile  Wink

carrot63
Grafter

I'm having the same issue as others here; SNR inexplicably jumped in early May from 6db to 15db. It had been steady since Jameseh reset it in September last year. I'm not aware of any work at the exchange, but the fact it jumped so far so quickly makes me suspect that was the cause.
I waited in the (oh so) vain hope that the system might lower it over time, but no such luck, so I've raised a ticket. If you feel inclined James, I'd be grateful if you'd have a gander at ticket 25736275.
James
Grafter

@ Baldrick
I've had a look at the ticket and this doesn't appear to be a target noise margin issue. I say this because the two tests that have been performed show your noise margin at 15dB and then at 9dB.  Which suggests that the fluctuations are being caused by local noise rather that a set BT variable.
James
Grafter

@ Carrot63
I've now raised this request to BT for you.
You'll see an update on your ticket shortly.