Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin expectations?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Noise Margin expectations?

That looks greyed out as if you can't untick it! Odd!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A bit of unsuccessful digging shows that it may be possible to change it from the telnet interface but it requires enhanced administrator access and i have no idea how to do that nor what the command is.
I tried "telnetcon timeout 10" in the normal telnet window but it was an unknown command
You could try reducing the log frequency to 5 minutes which is what mine is set to.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

On mine that is enabled but I have already tried it set to 3 without curing the problem. I will try asking on the Routerstats home forums and report back if I get an good answer.
Jim
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you mean the timeout can be adjusted then you can set it to 0 - it shouldn't  timeout or some higher value such as 15
Just downloaded the latest version and it was still greyed out - until I noticed that the Router uses DGTeam firmware was ticked - unticked it and it can be changed  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi EnglishMohican,
sorry I've not been able to get back sooner, hope you are getting on better with the stats recording.
With regard to the large gaps in the bits/tone plot there is no (legal) high power MW transmitters anywhere near you that would account for those gaps. MW transmitters even some distnace away can cause single tones to be unuseable, but this is nothing like like.
As you are plugged into the test socket, it seems there are 3 possibilities - A Line fault, Modem/Router, or Local interference (REIN) or other very local RFI -eg. Amater,CB, pirate. If I remember right you've eliminated filter problems.
In view of the fact that you haven't (yet) noiced any audible line problem to report a voice fault (where you don't mention the BB!), and also the significant poor performane, I'd be inclined to borrow/try an alternative router at this point (being easier to check than the REIN/RFI). You could also considered trying your modem/router on someone elses line, but at the end of the day the definitive test must be another one on your line.
HTH.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thank you for the information. I will investigate another modem. I am sure I have an old USB one somewhere that might give a better result - if not I will try to sort something else out. If I have any news to report, I'll get back to you.
Just on the topic of the timeout - Only 1 to 10 are available options on my Routerstats version and I am not convinced that it is the right parameter. The description seems to me to suggest something more along the lines that it will stop Routerstats recording blank data if the modem gets turned off, or otherwise stops responding. That seems to ignore the problem of why the modem stops sending data as in this case.
Now in the middle of re-plumbing the bathroom so computers and the internet are taking a bit of a back seat at the moment.
Jim