cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No web browser

kes

No web browser

Hi  Smiley
Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section. My broadband was activated today but I can’t get any web browsers to open on my pc. I can access windows messenger no problem, but when I try and open my emails or search online all I get is a page saying internet explorer cannot open this page. I have been on to plusnet but they have no idea what the problem could be.
I am using my laptop at the moment and all is fine on that and also my son’s pc is running great, its just mine. Anyone know what the problem could be?
Thanks  Smiley
20 REPLIES 20
James
Grafter

Re: No web browser

Hiya,
If you go to your control panel, select internet options, hit the connection tab, what does that page show?
What does it show if you click the LAN settings box?
That's assuming you're using Windwos XP or before....
kes

Hi
Thanks for replying.
When I got to control panel and select internet option and so on the page shows nothing at all. And when I click the LAN settings box the automatically detect settings is ticked.
I am using windows XP.
James
Grafter

Ok - Try unticking automatically detect, otherwise everything sounds absolutely fine.
Has the call centre talked you through specifying your DNS servers too? (If that bit doesn't help). 
Is your computer wired to the router or is it wireless?
kes

I’ve tried unticking the automatically detect settings and its still the same, the call centre wasn’t that interested in my problem when I phoned.
The computer is wired to the router, as mentioned in my first post messenger works fine it just the loading on web pages. Cry
It seems that it is a http problem, as if I diagnose the problem I get this message.
Windows cannot connect to the internet using http, https or ftp this is probably caused by fire wall setting on this computer.
Check the firewall setting for the http port 80, https port 443 ftp port 21
You might need to contact your isp.

I have turned off windows firewall and I’m still getting the same problem, I never had any of these issues with my other internet provider
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Which Windows operating system are you using
kes

Windows XP
Oldjim
Resting Legend

if you open Internet Explorer and click on tools then Internet Options then Connections should should see something like this picture - this is from IE8 - and also if you click on LAN settings - does it look like the second picture
James
Grafter

Jim - He's already done that and tried without auto detect.
I'm afraid I can't think of a reason why IE wouldn't load, but messenger would, as messenger will use the same settings for its connection.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have they got security set to high?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK - then the next thing is to click on Set up an internet connection - which should give this
Oldjim
Resting Legend

just did some Googling and there are a few reports of the same problem.
This solution worked in several cases
Hi,
first check if your ip and your DNS are automatically obtained... do the following
I had the same EXACT problem and this resolved my issue right away.
1. click start>control panel
2. in classic view open the icon for network connections
3. right click on the icon for Local Area Connection and choose properties
4. in the local area connection properties window click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click on properties
5. In the next window that opened make sure that Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically both have the green button on them... click apply and then OK...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on SWMBO's XP netbook, it sometimes looses the WiFi link, she then right clicks the icon in the aps bar and selects repair, that cures it for another couple of weeks
kes

Thanks for all the replies, i've tried everything suggested and still the same, it is odd how messenger works but web pages wont load, i can see it being something simple but the problem if finding it.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I wonder if someone knowledgeable could access your PC remotely and see if they can have a look at the problem.  If it's a new PC under guarantee maybe the manufacturer has this facility. Just a thought.