cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No spare PCI slot on PC so what is optimum USB wi-fi adaptor?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No spare PCI slot on PC so what is optimum USB wi-fi adaptor?

Does it not look like this?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spruance
Grafter

Jelv: 25 and 26 in your graphic may be what matches up with the photos I took a few minutes ago.
In my defence m'lud, when I looked earlier it was with the expectation of seeing something completely different to what macro photography now reveals to be there!
For the record here are thumbnails of firstly the external back plate:-

Next, the full open side overview:-

Thirdly,  the PCI slot area in particular:-

Next is a close up of what I now suspect are probably spare/open PCIe slots followed by one of said slots in ultra close-up:-

So, if these are indeed spare PCIe slots, what should I be looking for in terms of a PCIe wireless card, or is it best to put that question directly to Dell for assured compatibility?
Spruance
PS: I just found this video on YouTube for a D-Link device and whilst this particular card is maybe too pricey for what I want, the video descriptions of the card slots match very nicely with my photos...

So it looks like I do have two spare PCIe slots after all!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You will probabably have to pay £30+ because of support for 'n' standard.
e.g. Hp Wireless 802.11b/g/n Pci-e X1 Card.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, the 585v7 is a wireless G device (54Mbs) so does not have the coverage that wireless N has. Any wireless N dongle or PCIe card will only connect at 54Mbs.
If I were you I would get a cheap USB wireless N dongle and give it a try - also try by using a USB extension cable so you can move it away from the PC or put it on your desk and try different horizontal or vertical orientations. If it does not work then a PCIe device may not be any better anyway.
The other option is to change the router for a wireless N device which should give you better coverage and should work with any generic USB wireless dongle.
Spruance
Grafter

Again, thanks to you boh for your suggestions.  Smiley
I realise the limitations of the Thomson router but as it was free (to me) I can't really complain can I?
Peter, your suggestion re the USB n device seems a logical one as it's not as if I am dependent on a wireless connection. It's just that at the moment my fixed position ethernet connection is all that I have and thus can't even use the master socket downstairs to test the router/line etc without going offline.  I think I will give the USB option a try and see how it goes and if that's a non-starter I can consider the new router option at my leisure.
Spruance
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are going USB I would suggest something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7717UN-WiFi-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B001AIJX54/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&i... where the aerial can be moved to the best position
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim, and the funny thing is that is precisely what I am looking at now. Just reviewing product details via YouTube. Wink
Spruance
Spruance
Grafter

One thought that has just crossed my mind is that I have a Logitech M505 Wireless Laser Mouse which connects via a (very) small USB transmitter in the back of my PC. Is that likely to interfere with a wireless USB adaptor? If so, I could move the mouse to one of the front USB ports or would that be far enough away from the USB wifi adaptor?
Spruance
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Spruance
So it looks like I do have two spare PCIe slots after all!

You do, I refer you back to my initial post for excellent workable options.  Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90577.msg756090.html#msg756090
One of my adapters is an HP FH971AA. Cost about £30.
The other is a TP-Link TL-WN781N and was only £12 via Amazon!
The HP has a very good aerial.  

You would be crazy to go down the USB route if PCI-E is available!  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Peter's reasoning seemed absolutely sound to me.
Quote from: Peter
If I were you I would get a cheap USB wireless N dongle and give it a try - also try by using a USB extension cable so you can move it away from the PC or put it on your desk and try different horizontal or vertical orientations. If it does not work then a PCIe device may not be any better anyway.

Don't forget this is just to try out the router in the master socket without having to move his PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: HPsauce
You would be crazy to go down the USB route if PCI-E is available!  Crazy

I don't see why, I tend to agree with Peter & jelv.  Surely the crazy thing to do is to position a wireless aerial round the back of a large metal box?  So be it PCI or USB, to my mind the important thing is to be able to position the aerial for best reception.  That is easy with any USB wireless adaptor on the end of a USB extension lead.   
Spruance
Grafter

Yes I have to agree that for the issue at hand, USB seems to be the best option.
At the moment I have a stable ethernet wired connection delivering 6Mbps downstream and 370kbps upstream. That's in the bank and safe. Wink On the other hand, Plusnet are of the opinion that I could get as much as 9Mbps downstream provided that they can get the line situation sorted. In order to assist their investigations I need to be able to connect wirelessly to the master socket downstairs as and when required. No wireless card at the moment means that I cannot do that and so a cheap USB solution is the best way forward. If subsequent tests/remedial work show that a better wireless connection/higher speeds are possible then I think that would be the optimum time to consider a better wireless connectivity solution and/or better spec router.
Unfortunately it has taken me a whole evening to come to that conclusion - as usual I might add.  Roll_eyes Too much (online) information is a dangerous thing. Grin
Thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions so far. It really is very good of you and very much appreciated.
Spruance
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Unless the wireless connection is a fairly good one, any results may be slowed down because of wireless retransmissions etc.  Grin Grin Grin
So an aerial with a drop lead is probably essential.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Spruance
Grafter

Well I have just order the Edimax EW-7717UN WiFi 802.11n USB2 Adapter from Amazon as suggested earlier by Oldjim. I've opted for free delivery and they are estimating 17th-19th November but Amazon tend to over estimate delivery times so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up on Monday 15th November.
Spruance.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ReedRichards
Surely the crazy thing to do is to position a wireless aerial round the back of a large metal box?

Which is what often (almost always) happens with USB wireless adapters.  Wink
All my internal wireless cards have desktop aerials on a lead of typically 1.5m.
Just like you can get USB extension cables for small change, so you can good aerials on a lead, and most decent cards actually come with one anyway.
My (wide) experience is that internal wireless cards with an external aerial invariably perform better than plug-in USB devices.
But, it's your decision at the end of the day......................... Cry