cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response to a support ticket?

giz10p
Dabbler

Re: No response to a support ticket?

I think you missed the point, the speedtest was just to show how bad it is, the problem still persisted and I've never had a problem with disconnections, the router will stay connected 24/7. It's been confirmed that there is still a problem, the errors are plentiful and support are going to do another test tomorrow before passing it to openreach again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I didn't miss the point. It takes the automatic BT systems a considerable length of time to recognise that a line has improved after a fault has been fixed so running an ordinary speed test immediately after it has been fixed is utterly pointless, it is almost guaranteed to show exactly the same slow speed as before.
What you need to look at is the sync speed and noise margin reported by your router to see if they look better, and that the error counts are low. If so you can expect the IP profile to increase, you watch that by running the BT speedtest.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
giz10p
Dabbler

Quote from: giz10p
it's given little to no improvement of the problem

I.E. Errors, lots of them, problems loading the basic of web pages, the service is unusable for everyday usage.
I don't see how the sync speed is ever going to change when it's throwing more errors than you can shake a stick at.
Support have confirmed there is still a major issue.

Thanks for your reply but you aren't telling me anything I don't already know, unfortunately the only person that seems to make this fault move along is Jojo and that's the only reason im still posting on the forum.
Craig
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI giz10p,
have you been able to try an alternative router since the line issue was resolved?
Jojo Smiley
giz10p
Dabbler

Hi Jo,
Yes support asked me to try another router again, and I am also using the test socket with a microfilter rather than the openreach filtered faceplate.
Thanks,
Craig
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, thanks Craig, I'll get someone to pick that up today then.
Jojo Smiley
giz10p
Dabbler

Still no better here, the Openreach broadband engineer came out on wednesday, found an earth contact fault, rectified that which he said helped with the errors, he found out that if he goes 400yard up the road to a junction box in the ground he gets 1.6meg with no errors.
He said he needed to get authorisation to get the RAIN (sp?) team out to check if it was the cable causing the problem or something enviromental, however the error rate had reduced and I should get a better connection..
Latest BT Speed test is:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
52 Kbps

0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 52 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :640 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
It just seems to have got worse if anything!  Cry
AFAIK I'm waiting for tech support to look at the openreach report and act on that, I was told by them there were still a lot of errors on the line.
The general consensus from all the openreach engineers so far is the cable is shot.. It's in the ground with no ducting and there are no more spare pairs.
Craig

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi giz10p,
REIN is Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise which is basically interference from an external power source. I'll have a look at your ticket now and see what the next step will be.
Jojo Smiley
giz10p
Dabbler

Thanks for your help with this one Jo, unfortunately I've just had to cancel my account, the 3rd openreach engineer has deemed the line to be too far away from the exchange even though the previous property owners had broadband for years. He tested the line 400meters up the road and got 1.6mb and no errors as the engineer before him did but, he basically said they wont replace the line as long as the phone works as it will cost too much money and the problem does'nt effect enough people.
So much for the digial divide rubbish the government are going on about.. bt still class it as a "best efforts service" and I was told in a round about way take it as it is unuseable or not OR dont have it..
Again, thanks again Jo for your help!
Regards,
Craig
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Craig,
Well, I'm astonished. I wish there was more I could do to help Sad
Take care and all the best.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd be interested to see what happened if you signed up with BT Retail. Theoretically (and according to OFCOM rules) it should make no difference, but sometimes I do wonder.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikeprice

I don't know if this will help...
About five years ago my next door neighbour wanted to install broadband. He applied to BT and was told his phone line wouldn't support it. The BT broadband people told him he could pay a couple of hundred pounds for them to upgrade the line. He didn't like the idea. I suggested he complain to BT phone people that his line was bad and that his phone service was not good enough. BT phone people tested the line, found it was poor quality and repaired it free of charge. He then re-applied for broadband and the line was perfect and so he got his broadband connection.
Morally of the story: complain to BT business about the quality of your phone line. Do not mention broadband.