cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reply to support question, Ping times > 800ms,

lloyd2133

No reply to support question, Ping times > 800ms,

Hi
Two days ago I rose a question with the Plusnet support assistant, to bring my problem of very large ping times to their attention, have received no reply:
I have recently returned home for the easter holidays, and over the last week, my ping whilst online has been higher than 800ms, tested with speedtest.net, for hours at a time. Obviously for many online tasks, this is unusable. (This problem may predate this week, but as the main user of the service, I wasn't here, therefore am unable to tell how long it has been happening).
I would like to know if this is an issue I alone am having, or if there could possibly be an issue your end?
I am on the Plusnet Pro Broadband package, it is not Fibre.
Any information you could provide me with on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Daniel
7 REPLIES 7
bradw
Grafter

Re: No reply to support question, Ping times > 800ms,

Could be something saturating your upload. Perhaps a virus/trojan or a neighbour "borrowing" your connection?
Might also be a good idea to test ping via command prompt instead of speedtest.net as that can be inaccurate:
windows key + r
type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter
ping bbc.co.uk
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can you please post your router stats on here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lloyd2133

How do I access said stats?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is this using a wired or wireless connection to the router? If wireless, what are the pings like wired?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lloyd2133

this is a Wired connection via the use of homeplugs. Not tested wireless, desktop doesn't have those capabilities.
picbits
Rising Star

Temporarily move the PC to the router (or possibly invite a friend with a laptop over) and test via a wired connection - rule out the home plugs before chasing potential other issues.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Before doing anything else chasing speed tests, please post your router stats.  There is no point trying to eliminate dLAN etc if you have poor raw synch speed.
If you are using the PN TG router, its admin console is at http://192.168.1.254 - the default user name is 'admin' and if you have not changed the password, it is the serial number which can be found on the bottom of the router.
If it is something else, then look here for details if accessing the router stats - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.