cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone extensions for increased BB speed?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: No phone extensions for increased BB speed?

Personally, I'd just leave it on all the time.
paulby
Grafter

BT's system will adjust itself to give you the fastest speed it can without your SNR margin dropping below 6dB. 
Your SNR will drop as your speed goes up.  Better lines have a higher staring point and may not need to drop as far as 6dB to achieve 8Meg.  Conversely, poorer lines have a lower SNR margin and will only achieve lower speeds.
Your attenuation is a property of your phone line and shouldn't be affected by your modem or router!
EmpireCad
Grafter

Quote from: Paul03
BT's system will adjust itself to give you the fastest speed it can without your SNR margin dropping below 6dB. 

Thanks for your comments, Paul03.
So as I originally read, for SNRM, higher is better?  Strange then that with the old modem it was normally around 6 to 7.5 but the new router has only given 5.9 down in stages to 4.4.
Quote from: Paul03
Your attenuation is a property of your phone line and shouldn't be affected by your modem or router!

Again as I understood it.  Yet during my various tests over the past month using my old extension connection, the master socket, the test socket and finally the filtered master socket faceplate and hard wiring to the adsl connection (all with the modem), attenuation varied from as low as 40 by various increments up to 59.5.  Then with the router, consistently at 63.
Quote from: HPsauce
Personally, I'd just leave it (the router) on all the time.

Well I did this for five days+ and nothing changed: sync at 1856 and a D/L speed on the PN speedtester of 950k.  So I thought I would try what is suggested when you first get switched on to DSL Max and switch the router and PC off forcing it to reconnect.  I left it to cool off over lunch today (it does get quite warm doesn't it?) and re-booted everything.  Strangely sync had dropped to 1696k, SNRM was up a touch at 4.6/17, Atten stubbornly stuck at 63/31.5 and O/P power ditto at 16.8/11.9.  BUT... PNspeedtest gave me a record quick 1423k/381k.  And the BT test gave a profile of 1500k.
So I am now tempted to switch off the router overnight and see what happens for the next few days.  Any suggestions as to what the top limit might be with these stats?  I see that if I can get it to sync above 2272k, I could get speeds up to 2Mb.  I would be very happy with that and personally think that might be the limit on my line being so far from the exchange. But WDIK?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: EmpireCad
So as I originally read, for SNRM, higher is better? 

Not really, it's just not that simple. SNRM varies according to "conditions" and also speed.
It looks like your modem was misreporting your attenuation. The current 63dB is consistent with everything and stable so probably accurate.
The SNRM varies through the day, often best early in the morning (say 9am). Note I'm NOT defining "best". ;).
Provided there are no major problems your router will stay synchronised at the same speed EVEN IF the SNRM drops below 6dB (e.g. to 4dB) or increase (say to 9dB).
So, to get the best SPEED re-sync your router at the time of day when SNRM consistently appears to be its highest. It will resync at a speed giving an SNRM of about 6dB. If you resync at a different time the speed will probably be less.
However if that SPEED isn't stable 24*7 and it disconnects the BT equipment will adjust your IP Profile to the new lower sync speed. So you can't push it too far as BT won't let you.
Some people (me included) also override the SNRM if their lines are particularly stable to get higher speeds.  Roll_eyes
Overall the idea is, if you can be bothered, to find the optimum time to sync your router that stays stable for many days at a time but with the highest speed.
EmpireCad
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
The SNRM varies through the day, often best early in the morning (say 9am). Note I'm NOT defining "best". ;).
Overall the idea is, if you can be bothered, to find the optimum time to sync your router that stays stable for many days at a time but with the highest speed.

Many thanks for the explanation, HPsauce.  I'll set my alarm and let you know what happens.  Smiley Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro

No need to rush, it won't make a huge difference.
Just monitor it over a few days of constant (same speed) connection first to see how SNRM varies.