Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No (or hardly any) internet

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

No (or hardly any) internet

This evening I realised (from the PC) there was little or no internet connection. Router shows 4 days uptime. V slow on speed test. Router check on connectivity shows this (attached). Tried restarting from Technicolor interface but although it appears to go through a restart nothing actually happens (no visible restart at router) and uptime same as before with no internet to speak of. Tried Reset from interface. Same. Once I was able to get to the router I used a paperclip to restart it and it did restart (though it didn't ask for password as I expected). Anyway connection is OK again but those same results show for connectivity - a red cross against IPv4 Gateway. Not sure what this indicates given it is unchanged before and after router hard reset.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: No (or hardly any) internet

Assuming yours is a PlusNet branded TG582n router, it can (and does) set itself up remotely even after a factory reset, although logging into the router interface will require the username and router password of course.

Have just replaced my TG582n with a 2704n PlusNet router after it appears to have developed a fault - it still connected to the internet OK but did also show the same red cross against the IPv4 gateway as in your attachment.

Whether this means your router could also be faulty I'm not able to say because it could be they are all like that - until someone can contribute a more specific answer I can only suggest keeping a watchful eye on the router's DSL stats for anything unusual (change in SNR, connection speeds, error rates etc.)

materialman
Rising Star

Yep it's that router. Once before when Plusnet support got me to do the reset thing with a paperclip on the router, when it restarted I needed to enter my Plusnet username to reconnect.

I'm sure it used to show two IPv4 gateways.

Maybe someone else can enlighten me.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That red cross for the connectivity check is harmless and does not indicate a fault with your device. It's because most (all?) of the 172.x.x.x gateways on the new network do not reply to pings.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Don't worry about what that page in the router is showing. Looking at your connection it's quite stable:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 28.8 47.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 6.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 1219 2067
Speed: 934 6418

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 5696 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4556
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 67391 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 224
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 112
Your line isn't reporting any faults when I test it.

Can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
materialman
Rising Star

@Chris wrote:

Don't worry about what that page in the router is showing. Looking at your connection it's quite stable:

Can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Thank you Chris. I have done the tests you requested. Presumably they are now logged.

Prior to the problem I reported that evening here in this thread when the connection had been up about 3 days, there had been a stable connection up for far longer, about 40 odd days I think.

What would have caused the connection to be hardly there as I reported and for the router to be unresponsive to the interface, requiring me to reset through the reset hole in the router?

Thanks