cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more room at local exchange

DeathCubeK
Grafter

No more room at local exchange

Phoned Plusnet up today about having my broadband moved to a new address. The new place has had no phone line connected, so they have arranged for a BT engineer to reconnect, but the plusnet salesperson said that there was no room left at the exchange in regards to the broadband. He said this was rare and that BT will just extend the connections in the exchange. After some research I have discovered this is not as simple as the salesperson made out and some people will be waiting years for either a space to free up or for BT to update the exchange.
Anybody have experience of this? Is it as easy to sort as the guy on the phone has led me to believe?
Kind of worried because in order to get the transfer done for free he got me to sign up to an 18 month plusnet subscription that I could be paying for no service.
62 REPLIES 62
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: No more room at local exchange

Firstly... if PN can't provide the service they will cancel with no charges.
DeathCubeK
Grafter

Well thst's one relief.
The new place is rented, if I knew I couldn't get broadband there I would seriously reconsider moving. Sad I know.
adie:quote
gnicholson8
Grafter

yeah, well by law their not fulfilling their side of the contract and I know PN would never hold someone to the contract. Plus I believe your contract doesn't start until your service goes live.
I just moved myself and I made sure there was Fibre and room/line available before I moved, so no, it's not sad... honest 😛
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If Plusnet can't sort it then no other BTw reseller will be able to.
However if the exchange is unbundled then perhaps Sky ot TalkTalk have spare bits in their equipment in the exchange
DeathCubeK
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
Would it be better asking for fibre instead? I don't really want to move provider if I can help it. 
I really can't go without broadband over Christmas!
chriss5471

Really silly question, did Plusnet quote you a line installation date as in some areas OR have massive backlogs to connect new lines and if that is the case you may not have it for Christmas anyway.  Secondly go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker and see what exchange you will be connected to then it will give a good idea of what services are available to you.
DeathCubeK
Grafter

They said it would take a maximum 18 days, but that's rare apparently.
Thanks for the link, I know I can get fibre in the new place, so I will call them tomorrow and see if there is space on the exchange  for that instead.
itsme
Grafter

If fibre is available from BT then when they move users over to fibre it would automatically free up adsl equipment in the exchange.  Huh
DeathCubeK
Grafter

Just got off the phone to plusnet, explained what I was told yesterday about no more room left at the exchange, the lady informed me that has now been rectified and an engineer will be coming out on the 5th of December to connect the new phone line and apparently my broadband will be active from that day or the 6th. Excuse me for being slightly untrustworthy, butiI'll believe it when I see it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
There must have been some change as we've definitely been able to place the order - if there's no capacity at the exchange then we're prevented from doing that, so it's looking good from that score at least. Hope it all goes through as you've been told, but things are looking well for the moment.
DeathCubeK
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, and forgive me for being wary as I have had terrible experiences with other ip's (which is why I didn't want to leave plusnet). Hopefully all goes well on the 5th. Just a little concerned still as to how it has been sorted over night, but we'll see.
dick:quote
gnicholson8
Grafter

Could be as simple as someone has had their line disconnected, a provision error or even new equipment being installed. I wouldn't worry about it too much, however saying that I know what BTOR (the suppliers) are like so understand your apprehension.
DeathCubeK
Grafter

Little update. A friend of a friend works for BT so had him have a look into it (just because I could :))
They said:
"I've had a look at it, the network physical line has been allocated, meaning that there is a reserved line at the pole for him. But there is no installation order what so ever. There is no exchange equipment allocated. There isn't a shortage of equipment physically. But maybe a case it shortage of equipment being rented by plusnet from us. They MAYBE in the process of purchasing more???"
I'm going on the assumption the order simply wasn't placed when they checked or the system wasn't updated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We don't rent exchange equipment from BT, that's how LLU services work. We resell BT Wholesale services, and the order we've placed is for one of those to be installed. If there's no order showing in their system then there may well be a delay as something's failed on their systems, but I doubt that's the case as we're seeing updates on the order as of today. It still all looks like it's going ahead fine Smiley