cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet

Dee1311

No internet

Since last night no internet. Did all the usual rigmarole of restarting router, turning off plug at wall socket. Online Chat not available and no customer service available
15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: No internet

@Dee1311 Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
Dee1311

I do not have a telephone
jab1
Legend

OK, although a cheap handset is a great help when you need to establish the condition of your phone-line.

Irrespective of that, what lights if any are lit on your modem/router, and can you provide any of the information requested in that post?

To be able to help you we need some kind of starting point.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Dee1311 wrote:
I do not have a telephone

These are essential - how else can you find out if the phone line on which the broadband depends is working without noise?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dee1311

Not when the kids keep ringing my mobile with it when I’m out ! A £600 phone bill
jab1
Legend

Unplug and hide it when you're out?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Dee1311 wrote:
Not when the kids keep ringing my mobile with it when I’m out ! A £600 phone bill

Hmmm the things we do which can make life more complex to stop kids doing something they know they have been told not to do.  There are other solutions here...

1. Just do not accept the calls if they ring your mobile, just hang up and call back
  2. Get a handset on which you can block out-bound calls - either all or by number prefix - I used this to stop calls to mobiles and the 09 number used by TV quizzes and viewer participation events
  3. Get one of these socket lock boxes
  4. Or as @jab1 suggests just hide the handset

In the meantime, try the Phone Fault and Broadband Fault guides below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I understand the value of a quiet line test, especially in the days when you might have the line-rental and broadband with different companies. However, most people use the same company for both, and just want their broadband to work.

If I take my car to a garage and tell them it is running rough, they don't ask whether I've been down the road on a bicycle to see if that's rough too.

jab1
Legend

@corringham IF you have a broadband fault, it is a good idea to rule out a potential line fault - as has been pointed out many times, a BB service will not perform optimally if there is a line fault.

Even if you have both services with the same provider, BT/OpenReach regard them as individual services, and will need to clear the phone side before entertaining a BB  fault. Additionally, clearing the phone fault may resolve a BB fault.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Equally to the point a phone line fault repair can often be initiated by the phone line test interface ... negating the need for engagement with a support agent,

Looking at the garage analogy - it always helps to have some idea of what’s wrong ... it can save the mechanic time ... and you cost and inconvenience. Self help quickly is better than waiting for someone to do it all for you.

Best advice has been offered but it does not need to be accepted.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Just like many regular community members here I understand the value of narrowing down the fault (and I have some understanding of the underlying technologies as I worked as a development engineer for a major telecoms manufacturer for many years).

However, I'm just pointing out that broadband is unique in services provided to the general public in requiring that the end user do their own fault finding. If you pay for a broadband service the ISP usually provides a router - but then expects you to buy a phone that you may not have any other use for before they will investigate your broadband not working. There needs to be a better way.

Dee1311

It’s all fixed. There was a network outage!
corringham
Seasoned Champion

I'm glad it is fixed. There have been quite a lot of outages due to thunderstorms. It would be nice if there was an easy way to check for local outages, if only to be able to avoid lectures on the importance of owning a phone for fault finding.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep glad it is fixed too.

The problem is you need to rule out it being a problem your side, it is worth getting a cheapo corded landline just for that.

It could be a problem at your place, somewhere down the line or your exchange.

Yes I know also when there is hot weather you get storms and bad rain. Happened to me yesterday when I was out, I should have done my usual approach of just heading into the nearest pub and having a few light ales (*cough*) until it settled down.

I remember in Florida, where it was so hot and humid. It would be mega hot, then the skies would open big time. Not funny if you're caught out in it but the weird thing is you dry so quickly and seeing condensation where the water is evapourating.