still no service!

What now?

26 REPLIES 26
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: No internet for a week

@lilaclisa Welcome to the forums.

Have you had internet access previously? When you say 'no internet', exactly what do you mean? Is your router plugged in and powered up - if so which, if any lights are on, what colour are they, and what are they doing?

John
lilaclisa
Dabbler

Hi @jab1 

I've had Broadband connection with PlusNet for over a year

router suddenly went orange last Thursday for no apparent reason with Red b light solid/off for 30 seconds

PlusNet originally suggested my password was incorrect (!) - no this is correct!

PlusNet have asked me to reset several times and performed a session kill

OpenReach arrived, tested the line and all performing perfectly

PlusNet send new router to see if that's the problem - new router does exactly the same

PlusNet now suggest there is a problem at exchange - how long will this take to confirm?

What happens next?

jab1
Legend

OK, @lilaclisa , that all makes sense now - sorry for my original questions, but sometimes the obvious gets forgotten.

Did the OR engineer do any inside testing - master socket, cabling their side?

IF the problem is at the exchange, which to be honest I don't understand if it tested OK, you are in the hands of BT/OR and the only answer I can give you is 'how long is a piece of string?' - they work in strange ways.

John
lilaclisa
Dabbler

thanks@jab1 

Oh dear, I'm at my wit's end and don't know where to turn to if "exchange" review doesn't resolve it

This is serious - I work for NHS from home and it's essential I'm back online.

What can I do?

If I signed up to another provider, would I have the same problem still?

jab1
Legend

@lilaclisa If the investigation at the exchange doesn't resolve it, they will have to look elsewhere - there obviously is a problem somewhere outside your home.

To be honest, signing up with another provider (a) won't solve your problem if it is somewhere in the BT infrastructure (b) will cost you termination fees if you are still in contract with PN (c) could mean you are offline for even longer, as the problem will follow you, and any new provider will have to restart the investigation process with BT.

As I asked before, but you didn't answer, what internal, if any, tests did the engineer do?

John
lilaclisa
Dabbler

@jab1 sorry - I missed this question

he tested the line was operating then fiddled around with the master socket with all his gadgets and confirmed that all the numbers correlated as they should.  Sorry, I'm not sure what else he did. 

He wasn't able to explain the problem as, as far as he could see, line was ok, PN saying their side was good so assumed it was a router problem. 

jab1
Legend

Sorry for more questions, but just to rule out another thought I've had - what type of master socket have you got - there should be some markings to tell you this unless it is an old one, is your router plugged in via a 'dangly' filter?

John
lilaclisa
Dabbler

@jab1 

I had a new BT master socket installed November 2019 after a faulty line was identified.

It's just a single socket with the dangly double filter (phone & router)

jab1
Legend

@lilaclisa Thanks for that. In that case, do you have a spare filter to try? - they can very occasionally go wrong.

A bit surprised they didn't replace it with a more modern socket, though.

John
lilaclisa
Dabbler

@jab1 

using new filter which was provided with new router...

jab1
Legend

@lilaclisa Well that's settled that line of enquiry then.😉

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@lilaclisa 

Can we please review this on a step by step basis please.  There are the usual things to be ruled out ... so that the less obscure, less obvious can be considered.  I would hope that the first few have been covered off by the BT engineer...

1. Do you have a dial tone on the line?
  2. Is the line free of noise - crackles - etc?  Dial 17070 option 2 - the line should be silent as a grave yard
  3. Does your device connect to the wifi and obtain an IP address?  On a WIn10 PC...
    1. Right click the window icon on the task bar (the one which you left click to get the menu up)
    2. Select RUN
    3. Enter CMD press enter
    4. At the prompt in the black window enter ipconfig /all
    5. Look for the WiFi network connection and check that the address is 192.168.1.xxx - if you see a different address (usually 164.x.y.z) that means that you are not properly connected to the router
  4. Using a web browser, log into the router on 192.168.1.254
  5. Look at the xDSL stats - does the router report connection speed?  If yes that means that the router is in sync and there is nothing substantially wrong with the router to exchange connection
  6. Look at the internet connection details
    1. Check that the Username is youraccount@plusdsl.net
    2. Check the password
    3. Click the connect button
    4. If it fails, look at the log file - copy and paste the log entries covering the duration of the attempt to connect, but be sure to redact any reference to your account name

@Gandalf - I recall a few weeks ago there being a case where all of the user details were correct, but the PPP session could not be properly established due to an authentication issue (IIRC) somewhere between the BT RAS and Plusnet.  Could this be a similar occurrence?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lilaclisa
Dabbler

@Townman 

completed all of 1-6, dial tone perfect, log in details correct etc

when on router's hub homepage, details (username@plusdsl.net) and password are correct but PPP wheel spins then return to same page saying "not connected to internet" and asking me to "check user name and password"

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What is in the log file?

Are you able to somehow grab it and paste it here please?

What are the xDSL session state details please - US / DS speed and SNR /SNRM figures?

Have you tried logging into the user portal with the password?

Is this a Plusnet router?  If yes, have you tried a factory reset and left the router to self configure?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.