cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection since around 4pm today

Supertrooper
Grafter

No internet connection since around 4pm today

Hi I am based in Cumbria and late this afternoon there was a strange distortion on my landline before it went completely dead, and I lost internet connection too. I can't wait for phone support as I can't afford to wait a whole hour for a response. I am going away tomorrow and needed internet connection to submit an assignment online. I can use my iPad with mobile reception to do things like this, but it is too weak to deal with downloading or uploading  documents. I need to know if the problem is at your end and if so, how long will it take to repair please?
56 REPLIES 56
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: No internet connection since around 4pm today

If your phone line is dead the problem is very local to you. Does the line sound completely silent? Is there any type of sound?
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left? If so, click on "The test socket " heading lower down the page to see a picture of it, remove the lower front plate and plug a phone directly into the test socket.
If you now have dial tone, try a different filter from the one you'd been using.
If your line is still dead, report a Phone fault on this page by clicking on the Phone Troubleshooter link - you'll first get a login screen. Don't mention your broadband, this is a phone line fault. I'm afraid it's unlikely to be a quick fix unless there is some major outage that BT Openreach are already aware off.
Post the ticket number from your fault ticket here and when Plusnet CRT are on in the morning, hopefully they'll take a look.
You could also try looking at this status page to see if your area/exchange is listed. Whether the "personalised check" will work with your number, I don't know. Give it a try.
Supertrooper
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone, I followed all your suggestions and it seems there is a fault on the external line  Sad  will take time to fix, as you said. At least I know how to report stuff now.
Anotherone
Champion

Post back how you are getting on if you can (and the ticket number), it's possible Plusnet CRT might be able to prod things, but no guarantees.
Supertrooper
Grafter

Oh, and the ticket number from my fault report is 115168229. Thanks. No joy from the BT site.
Anotherone
Champion

Let's hope no-one has nicked the cable, that can take a lot longer to resolve Shocked
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our tests have found a earth contact and it looks like it's a common fault in your area.
I'm trying to see if I can get any more information.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for looking Matthew.
Supertrooper
Grafter

Yeah.before I left the area for a week's holiday I discovered there are loads of phone line problems in this area that have been going on for some time! Hope things get resolved soon, but a business near me was told it could be mid December before they get their BT landline phone back....what's going on out there? Crazy world...
Anotherone
Champion

It sounds like a major cable fault from what Matthew has said. What exchange are you on? Have any contractors been digging up roads/footpaths etc in the area for other works? Maybe they've damaged a cable!
Supertrooper
Grafter

Yeah, although one business has had their phones down for 9 days already, before mine went completely dead there was a lot of distortion and crackling for about half an hour then nothing. I'm away now so I'll report back next Friday. Fingers crossed things may be fixed by then!
Supertrooper
Grafter

I'm back! Sort of... after a week away, it looks like the phone connections has been fixed by BT, and I got my router back to factory settings via a phone call to you guys yesterday afternoon, so thanks, I do have Broadband and internet. BUT. It is painfully slow - I mean impossibly slow really - I can't function like this. Can't download photos or iPlayer etc. and have to wait an age for any web page to open. So what is causing this? A neighbour has been told by BT the speed will get better... but they are on BT, not PlusNet - is it a BT line issue, or PlusNet? Please advise - is there something more you can do?Huh
Anotherone
Champion

BT telling people the speed will get better most of the time is total BS, occasionally there's a setting that needs to update.
If you post your xDSL stats also your Current Line speed (Login required) (don't post your phone number) that lot should identify what needs to be resolved.
Edit: What exchange are you on?
Supertrooper
Grafter

Hi Anotherone - this is what I got from the link:
Phone exchange: GRANGE-OVER-SANDS estimated line speed:8Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2015-10-17 14:06:57Current line speed:6.5 Mb
But I have to say the speed today is far lower than 17th October listed here... 
Supertrooper
Grafter

Angry can't log into my router website for xDSL stats - it's a Thomson TG585 v8 - they only list v7 - and the serial number doesn't work as a password.  Angry