Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection on one device - others all fine

FIXED
SimonC123
Hooked
Fixes: 1

No internet connection on one device - others all fine

I have decent internet connection and wifi coverage. Loads of devices working well. But one gets no internet connectivity. It is connected to the router (Onehub) and I can manage the router from it. But it gets no interent connectivity. I am stumped! Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: No internet connection on one device - others all fine

Welcome to the forums, @SimonC123 . What is this unconnected device?

John
SimonC123
Hooked

It's a samsung galaxy s9

jab1
Legend

Apologies for the delayed response.

I have never had an Android phone, but a remedy for this type of behaviour on Apple products is to delete the connection entirely, completely turn the phone off, wait a couple of minutes and then retry.

John
SimonC123
Hooked

Having checked further this seems to be a systemic issue with all of my samsung devices. None of our phones or tablets can access the internet. They can all connect to the wifi and can manage the router, so it clearly isn't a wifi connection problem. Just that even when logged in to the router they get no internet. Other devices (ie not samsung) are accessing the interent with no problem.

jab1
Legend

In that case, it is a Samsung problem, not a Plusnet one. You will have to contact them, and hope you get a CS rep who knows what they are talking about. Sorry I can't offer any fuhrer advice.

Out of curiosity when did you first notice this?

John
SimonC123
Hooked

Sorry to disagree, but it's a plusnet router config problem. I have never had this problem on any wifi hotspot or other home router.

It happened as soon as I turned on the new router. Since samsung devices can connect to wifi and even run the connectivity check on the router management page, it is able to access the LAN. So the problem must surely be a routing, bridging or firewall issue within the router. You can argue that samsung should change their software to overcome plusnet's config or software problems if you like but really that's bit of a cop-out.

jab1
Legend

I'm not suggesting that at all, but if other devices can access the 'net and only Samsung ones can't, it still  points to those devices -IMHO.

As I have asked before, have tried the 'forget network' and rebooting the suspect devices option?

John
SimonC123
Hooked

Yes rebooted after forgetting network. No difference. Is happening on devices with very different software builds. About all they have in common is android and even then ranging from 6 to 11. I always suspect the thing that has changed, not the thing that hasn't. New router brought into a working system...

Very little info in the router but one issue seems to be that its caching the mac addresses for a long time, so may get confused by mac randomisation but then even when that is turned off it doesn't allow Internet through to select devices.
jab1
Legend

A very strange situation, @SimonC123 , because if this was a router/android problem. I would have expected more complaints. Unfortunately, as I have said, I am not an Android device user, nor do I use the current Plusnet router offerings. What I will do, however, is tag a fellow customer who is more experienced in this area, because I have no furher suggestions, sorry.

@Baldrick1 - any thoughts - please.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

A couple of things to try.

1. Factory reset the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole. Keep the switch closed for about 30 seconds then leave it to configure itself and reconnect.

2. Separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Try each band in turn.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Sounds like a DNS issue to me. The fact that it's only Samsung devices with the problem suggests that they are not able to reach the Samsung server they are using to test for internet access.

There's some indication out there that moving between wifi networks can cause the problem so @Baldrick1 s suggestion of splitting the Wifi bands might help. There's also a number of posts suggesting that an incorrect time on the device can cause the issue (not sure about how that could cause the problem).

If @Baldrick1 s suggestions dont work then post back and we'll try setting a static IP and DNS on one of the devices and see if that fixes it.

BTW I have two Samsung Tab A devices which work perfectly on my PN connection. I do have the wifi split though and I don't use PlusNets DNS servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SimonC123
Hooked

Fix

Hi All,

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. I've tried all that I could easily do with no success. (Forget network, unbind 2.4 and 5 GHz nets but not new DNS or static IP.)

Being short on patience I've changed the router to a TP-Link Archer VR1200 (thanks Amazon prime!). And bingo. Everything works and (initially) seems like fewer drop-outs.

Funnily enough on windows pc had to clear chrome's cache for it to see internet but firefox seemed to sort itself out straight away. Edge had a pause but worked it out on it's own whilst I was dealing with Chrome. Never seen that before either. Does make me wonder if there are some weird/old settings in the free plusnet router.

Thanks again for your help.

SimonC123
Hooked

So a codicil...

Turns out there is a known issue with newer samsung devices not working with autoswitching between 2.4 and 5Ghz bands because the devices just keep flipping between the two bands resulting in the appearing to be no internet. If you go far enough away from the router that only one band can be detected then all is fine, which is what I was seeing when I thought it was working. 

I guess you could only workaround that with the basic plusnet router by having separated SSIDs for the two bands, which loses the benefit for devices that do work with the autoswitching. Luckily my non-plusnet router lets me have guest networks and so I have set up two additional networks one for 2.4 and one for 5 with different ssids. And lo, problem solved.