cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet access after following troubleshooting

Louy

No internet access after following troubleshooting

4 days ago the router was accidentally switched off at the plug socket for a maximum of 2 seconds. Since then, I have been unable to establish a connection and keep getting the “no more than 100 sessions” message when accessing the hub. My router is a Hub One and I have never had this issue before. I have tried ALL troubleshooting in just about every post relating to this, including the videos and guidance. I have also reset both the router and my password and can still not get connected. When following the guidance, I am able to get the light back to blue on the router, but I cannot get internet access at all. It’s getting really frustrating now. We are out of contract and stuck paying a high price at the moment due to moving house soon with no confirmed moving date. Now we have no internet whatsoever. Is there anything anyone can suggest at all? I have tried absolutely everything including leaving the router off for 65 mins etc.
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: No internet access after following troubleshooting

Hello @Louy 

A warm welcome to the forums ... though it is disappointing that no one has offered help here.

A blue light is a fair indication that the router has successfully connected to the internet.  So we need to look closer to home for the issue.  There can be a big danger of making flawed presumptions on how you are connecting to the router, so can we take this back to basics...

"I cannot get internet access at all"

Please advise what device you are attempting to access the internet to and how is that connecting to your router.

Exactly what delivers the "no more than 100 sessions" message?

Can you log into the router at all on https://192.168.1.254?

What other kit is connected to the router?

Can you get one device connected if you disconnect / turn off all other devices?

What version is the router's firmware?

Googling the description references several threads herein, but they suggest that the account details are wrong, which does not match having a SOLID blue light on the router...

SOLVED No more than 100 sessions allowed.... - Plusnet Community

No internet after 100 session exceeded message - Plusnet Community

No Internet even though it says it is connected. - Plusnet Community (ignore the clearing the cookies advice)

Fixed: trying to log onto router ? - Plusnet Community

Help - disconnected and can’t reconnect - Plusnet Community - this one is more recent and one I was involved it - as I note therein, a SOLID blue light does not fit the account credentials being wrong.  This thread also suggests that the issue might need a wire connected device to effect a solution / diagnosis.  Note that this user got a solid orange light after the factory reset which pointed to an accounts credentials issue.

Fixed: No internet after power cut though blue light show... - Plusnet Community

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Connected-to-WiFi-and-router-but-no-internet/m-p/16863...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Router-asking-for-new-login-5-20pm-every-day/m-p/16403...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Blue-light-on-router-but-no-connection/m-p/1805164#M342701 - this one suggests that restarting the router whilst NOT PLUGGED INTO THE PHONE line might be helpful

@bobpullen 

Is there any insight as to what causes this issue, notably (reputedly)

• The router shows a blue light but is not connecting successfully
  • A factory reset sometimes leaves the devices with an orange light
  • The user account does not appear to be getting set up properly by the TR96 service - is it possible that these devices have dropped off the management platform or are not identifying themselves correctly?  I note that several of these reports indicate a power transient prior to the issue

Where is the 100 session limit in this scenario?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman wrote:

@bobpullen 

Is there any insight as to what causes this issue, notably (reputedly)

• The router shows a blue light but is not connecting successfully
  • A factory reset sometimes leaves the devices with an orange light
  • The user account does not appear to be getting set up properly by the TR96 service - is it possible that these devices have dropped off the management platform or are not identifying themselves correctly?  I note that several of these reports indicate a power transient prior to the issue

Where is the 100 session limit in this scenario?

OP's issue has been resolved following a call into support, however the most common scenario for the 100 session limit is the fact that the hub is connected using the default setup@plusdsl.net broadband credentials. This account is 'walled-gardened' and only has very limited Internet connectivity, however it will still show a blue LED, so can be confusing as it implies everything is well.

If there is no provisioning record on the hardware management platform (or a device has dropped off it), then most HTTP traffic when connected using these default creds, will be re-routed to the router GUI at 192.168.1.254. Depending on how busy a customer's local network is, this can have the undesired effect of breaching the GUI session limit.

The solution (as was the case here) was to reprovision the hub at our side and have the customer factory reset. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob,

Thank you for a comprehensive answer.

I infer for the above, that the oft reported power failure event simply becomes the "final straw" in a situation where the router has dropped off the management platform previously (or was never on it) ... leading to the failure to self configure correctly if reset by the user or the power failure event caused a reset.

Moral of the story - even if the lights are on and all looks well ... check the account settings!!!

👍

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.