cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet! How long before something happens??

Jeannine
Dabbler

No internet! How long before something happens??

We have been without internet connection since Wednesday morning (when by coincidence BT engineers were there and deciding that I couldn't have a working corded phone with a router! Undecided Told me to switch off the router if I wanted to use the phone - can that be right??? They installed a new master socket as well.).  After long discussions with PN on Wednesday afternoon, it was decided that the router must be at fault and a new one arrived from PN on Thursday morning - same problem and still no internet so a broadband fault was raised then.  Now it's Saturday and nothing's happened!  Any idea how long we will have to wait to get an engineer (assuming that's what's needed)?  It's really frustrating!
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No internet! How long before something happens??

Hi there,
No that's not right at all - you should always be able to use a phone and the broadband at the same time, if you can't there's a fault somewhere!
Most importantly, do you hear noise on the line when there's just a single corded phone plugged into the test socket (behind the master socket front plate) and everything else is unplugged from the line? If so we can carry on progressing this as a voice fault, if not then we'll need to get it resolved via the broadband fault.
Jeannine
Dabbler

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.  My most important concern at the moment is lack of internet.  Apparently the fault has been logged as a broadband fault but it's been five days now since we have been able to connect.  Any idea how long it will take to get things sorted?  I do like my local public library which is where I am writing this but it's not open very often and they don't have a coffee machine...!  :'(Please help!!
With reference to the noisy line.  The new master socket has an extension cable wired into side of it.  If the router is off - both corded and cordless phones are crystal clear.  When router is on - corded phone with filter in master socket is clear, cordless phone with filter on end of extension with the router - noisy. Router on - corded phone in master socket without filter is noisy and cordless phone with filter on extension cable with router is clear.
I have tried all combinations and it seems impossible to have both corded and cordless phones without noise when the router is on!
But please sort out the internet problem first!! Undecided
Thanks for your help!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Broadband first: it's not as simple as that. If there is a fault on the phone line broadband is likely to have problems. 9/10 when you sort out a phone fault the broadband issue goes away.
Something you've posted bothers me:
Quote from: Jeannine
Router on - corded phone in master socket without filter is noisy and cordless phone with filter on extension cable with router is clear.

I wouldn't expect that to work without a filter in the master socket. You MUST have a filter in all sockets that have anything (phone, fax, Sky box, router ...) plugged in to them (unless the engineer has fitted a socket with separate phone and ADSL sockets where the filter is part of the socket).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As Jelv has said, the noise on the line will be causing the fault with the broadband, but if it is a noisy line it needs investigating as a phone line fault (if your phone wasn't with us we'd be advising you to get a fault raised with your phone provider to fix the broadband!).
Again as per above though, is everything plugged into the line through a microfilter? If not that may well be the cause of the noise. You can pick up microfilters at your local supermarket for a couple of quid, that should help - though we'll have supplied two with your router.
Please let us know if filters make a difference?