cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No improvement in throughput

jamebrow

No improvement in throughput

Has anyone else found no noticable improvement in speeds after activating WBC?
My router is sync'ing at around 11Mbits Down and 1Mbits Up, but I still receive only 6Mbits / 256Kbits upstream. I've tried a number of speed test sites at various times of the day, but the results are always consistent. I think something has gone wrong with the upgrade process.
This is my router sync speed:
                DS Channel1      DS Channel0  US Channel1      US Channel0
Speed (kbps):            0            11849            0              1107
A test result is attached.
21 REPLIES 21
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: No improvement in throughput

Can you do a BT speedtest (http://speedtester.bt.com/) and compare the profile to that which is in the portal https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jamebrow

Thanks Adiewoo. I've run the BT test, then logged into PlusNet. Both results are attached.
I'm not sure I can make too much sense of the BT results, since they refer to "throughput" rather than mentioning whether they mean upstream or downstream.
Interestingly BT has my sync speed recorded correctly, but PlusNet still have the old 6Mbits sync achieved under DSL Max.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

That will need to be manually tweaked, sure one the staff will oblige tomorrow  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

That looks pretty convincingly like a PlusNet profile error.
(which PN staff may be interested to find out the cause of)
jamebrow

Thanks for your time. I've raised a ticket, so fingers crossed  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Excellent - the key figures are in the BT test that your IP Profile is 10000 and on the portal it says 6500.
Hopefully Dave Tomlinson or someone will be along to give your portal setting a poke as that is what is restricting you at present (it has to be done manually as the automated system is still being developed). Then a quick reconnect and you should see the improvement. You could try ringing in and giving the agent the two figures.
Edit:[me=jelv]must type faster[/me]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It still doesn't explain the speed of 836kbps in the BT test
James
Grafter

Quote from: jamebrow
Interestingly BT has my sync speed recorded correctly, but PlusNet still have the old 6Mbits sync achieved under DSL Max.

Oh no it's not! Cheesy
jamebrow

Super, thanks Jameseh. I will give it a whirl tonight.
Just to let you know, I received a message a few minutes ago from the CSC asking me to wait another 72 hours for portal speed to update.
James
Grafter

Yeah - That's a fair enough response really, as it's just Dave (and me) that's been changing profiles.
We're trying to build in some automation, but the kind souls at BT decided to making the profiling appear in a different system to what it is now.
gaptag
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Yeah - That's a fair enough response really, as it's just Dave (and me) that's been changing profiles.
We're trying to build in some automation, but the kind souls at BT decided to making the profiling appear in a different system to what it is now.

So does that mean that *all* 21CN triallists will have fixed profiles that don't automatically update?
I've attached the BT test I did just a few minutes ago that shows they have me on a 3.5meg profile, but Plusnet is still stuck on a 3meg profile (and has been annoyingly for as long as I can remember). I think it was stuck on this even when I dropped *below* 3meg sync when I was initially migrated last year and (stupidly!) had the router incorrectly hard-configured to train as ADSL1.
According to my syslogs here I haven't been below 4meg since 22nd Jan - I would have thought the profile would have corrected itself by now and according to BT it has - it's just not being reflected at the Plusnet end?
Overall, I've not been too pleased with this "better" ADSL2+. My expectations were a doubling in upstream which is what I really wanted and got... however it seems to have been at the expense of my downstream - I've not been near my pre-migration downstream stable rate since I was migrated!  Sad
The ADSL2+ "adaption" also seems to be a bit less intelligent than the old ADSL1 scheme. Primarily it seems to be obsessed with trying to get over 5meg sync rate on my line (which according to the theoretical graph I've seen seems to be to be too high for my length of line). It does this every 1.5-2 weeks I think. Unfortunately when it does this, although the line stays synced (even though dropping to 0-1dB at points), the actual data transferred starts to break up and I get tons of packet loss and the connection becomes impossible to use. I have to reboot the router at this point, although this is made twice as difficult if I'm out and about as I don't just lose connectivity to my mail server run at home, but also the ability to login to the Draytek router's GUI and tell it to reboot!
The main problem is that it keeps doing this - shouldn't it have learnt the first or second time that this 5meg quickly results in a 0dB SNR?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: gaptag
Quote from: Jameseh

So does that mean that *all* 21CN triallists will have fixed profiles that don't automatically update?

I would say it means that until the Plusnet profile automation process is updated then profiles for 21CN trialists need to be set manually. Providing feedback in these forums helps to get that done in a timely manner. I note your previous post was 7 weeks ago.
In connection with the error rates on your connection does it help to maintain a usable connection through a full day if you sync at a time when the noise margin is at its lowest (late evening?)?
David
gaptag
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
Quote from: gaptag

I would say it means that until the Plusnet profile automation process is updated then profiles for 21CN trialists need to be set manually. Providing feedback in these forums helps to get that done in a timely manner. I note your previous post was 7 weeks ago.
In connection with the error rates on your connection does it help to maintain a usable connection through a full day if you sync at a time when the noise margin is at its lowest (late evening?)?

Yes, my previous post was 7 weeks ago. As you'll note from the content of that posting, I had "damaged" my profile at the exchange by forcing ADSL1 syncs (the Draytek configuration screens aren't very descriptive about what "G.DMT" is that mine was set on!). It has taken at least 4 weeks from that point to get near a 5meg sync rate again. I think you'll agree that it wouldn't be in the interests of this trial for me to be commenting on faults/bugs/issues and harrassing the busy Plusnet chaps while my connection/profile was in this state through my own fault and needed time to recover.
The connection has recently recovered, and now seems to be heading too far in the other direction. At the same time it has only now become obvious that my profile at the Plusnet end is "stuck", hence why I'm raising the issue now.
Your suggestion about making sure I re-sync at the lowest noise margins is an interesting idea - however this will pretty much be what has been happening anyway. The connection is no longer doing its 12 noon resyncs as it was when I was first migrated, but tends to stay connected now for much longer periods. When I do have to force a resync, this is done in the evenings when the noise margin drops, so by virtue of when I have to resolve any problems I have, I've already been re-syncing at the time you suggested.
As I type this, the streetlights are coming on, and central heating firing up, and the SNR has dropped from 3dB to 1.5-2dB... it will be interesting to see if it keeps hold and stays reliable tonight.
------
Update @ 17:58 : It didn't last long! Just after posting I was getting long delays trying to use any websites including the Plusnet portal. Ping tests to bbc.co.uk resulted in 61% packet loss. Had to reconnect to get back to a useable connection. (Was 5.0meg downstream with 1dB SNR before reconnect, resynced at 4.7meg/2.5dB SNR after reconnect). It should be fine now until the next time it tries 5meg again!
-------
I've also been reading up on the Draytek UK forums, and found something interesting. I am almost certain that on my old ADSL1 connection I had interleave on my line - the higher the sync-rate, the more corrected errors that would appear in the Draytek's GUI. I've read someone else on the Draytek forums saying that their modem is reporting interleave being on when it actually isn't on at all. I think this could be the case with me as now I've checked it, I don't seem to get any corrected errors at all, but tons of uncorrected errors. I assume this means that interleave is off at the DSLAM end and my Draytek is getting it wrong? I'm guessing that interleave being off might not be helping much, especially on my length of line - I assume the DSLAM has switched it off with good reason though - or is this just the default setting for new ADSL2+ connections and I never noticed before?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This absence of corrected error counts if a good indication that Interleave is off. A confirmatory check is to ping www.plus.net. or www.bbc.co.uk. If the result is under 20ms Interleave is off, if well over 30ms it is most likely to be on. Having it on could be beneficial for your line. With it off every error has to be corrected by retransmission and in the worst case the same packet is just restransmitted continuously, giving no throughput.
I thought the default on 21CN connections was Interleave on, but Plusnet staff need to confirm the history for your line.
It looks like the target noise margin for your line is still 3dB. I would expect the DLM to increase this to 6dB with the sort of sync/noise history you get, perhaps it will in time. It will be interesting to see how your connection behaves now you have a sync speed that is realistically sustainable
David