cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fibre broadband in Sheffield?

SteelCamel

No fibre broadband in Sheffield?

I was looking at getting a fibre broadband connection from Plusnet, but the website said it wasn't available. So I went to the checker at http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and got the following:
Exchange Name: SHEFFIELD
According to the site, that basically means never - it's not even under consideration. This seems rather bizarre, a city centre (and Plusnet HQ!) not even being considered for upgrading. Does anyone know why this is?
3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: No fibre broadband in Sheffield?

I live on the outskirts of Sheffield and my exchange is fibre enabled.
However I used to work in the centre and was amazed that the main exchange in the centre of a major city wasn't being upgraded.
Mabe it's the age and size of the exchange with the associated considerable upgrade cost that's putting them off.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SteelCamel,
Upgrading exchanges and cabinets to fibre is constantly work that is being carried out by BTOR. The best thing to do is to register interest on the site that you mentioned in the post. Unfortunately we're not provided any future dates for specific locations that are different to the ones on the site. Best thing to do is to just keep an eye out on the BTOR site.
AndyH
Grafter