cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fiber optic thanks to BT but what about 4G

mathewlisett
Grafter

No fiber optic thanks to BT but what about 4G

Thanks to the gadget show, we have been informed that 4G is stupidly fast, and since you guys told us that BT has now restricted who is getting the fiber optic upgrade and I know we are one of those that arent.
Is There a chance Plusnet are going to invest in getting us 4G , becuase i would love to use it and especially move with the times instead of the dark ages and spedning ages downloading or spending more than a day uploading
33 REPLIES 33
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: No fiber optic thanks to BT but what about 4G

We've got no plans for that, you'd be more likely to get 4g from a mobile network in the future, much as you would 3g.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mathewlisett
Grafter

surely since BT are being who they are , as in unfair to many in rural areas by refusing to hand over or allow the other competition to do fiber optic, and now that 4G is proven to do very well in speeds. wouldnt it be wise for plusnet to look ahead for this as an option for their customers.
itsme
Grafter

Where is the evidence that BT are stopping other using fibre.
Quote from: mathewlisett
and now that 4G is proven to do very well in speeds. wouldnt it be wise for plusnet to look ahead for this as an option for their customers.

Where is 4G live? Must have missed the auctions for the licences
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: itsme
Where is 4G live? Must have missed the auctions for the licences

O2 4G trials have been running in London and Newquay (search for UK 4G trial).
I suspect that 4G will, initially at least, be most available and fastest in major cities and other areas already well served with existing technology and many remote rural areas will continue to loose out due to simple economics.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mathewlisett
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Where is the evidence that BT are stopping other using fibre.

its i believe one of the announcements on this forum

"many remote rural areas will continue to loose out due to simple economics"
funny how our government was stated as saying they would be putting millions into the broadband rural area issue, and then we had BT clearly stating the same thing and making it their mission. only to then have an announcement that BT wont infact be doing this
CX
Grafter

Having dealt with one of the smaller companies that were proposing to install their own fibre network alongside existing BT cables, I wouldn't blame BT/Openreach if they don't want such individuals anywhere near their infrastructure.
Are any 4G handsets available in the UK yet?
Jem8472
Grafter

I believe the gadget show said that it will be the end of 2012 before 4g is going to be rolled out. They are testing it in London at the moment.
mathewlisett
Grafter

CX23882
sadly how ever, BT wont let ANYBODY deal with some areas, not even virgin .
itsme
Grafter

Please supply more information. The Virgin infrastructure does not use BT and therefore they can put in systems where they like.
mathewlisett
Grafter

forgive me for not having all the details infront of me.
as far as i am aware, Bt currently "runs" and even "owns" as per contract an area of land , which means they can do deals or not to their competition.
which also means nobody else can come along and put down their copper or fiber optic, just like if water issue was the same, if wessex water did the same thign BT are doing, it would eman no other company unless reachign a deal with wessex water would be allowed to provide a ervice with their water.
if that makes sense.
itsme
Grafter

The only area of land that I know of as a monopoly of one telecommunications provider is Hull and the monopoly is by Kingston Telecom and BT are excluded from this area.
As for your water analogy this may not be a good one as water is regulated by the state by giving companies exclusive rights to manage the supply. 
mathewlisett
Grafter

i did say it might not eb a good example, but should have been a good enough exaple what ever the service may have been.
overall i know that bt cntrol our area yet wont do a damned thign with it.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Is Satellite Broadband any good for you? About £50 a month and £500 to set up for 4M down and 1M up.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
mathewlisett
Grafter

so pay more than 5 years worth of the connection package i have right now, to gain a downlad speed thats worse, but have a upload thats better.
not a chance.