Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ethernet and wifi

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: No ethernet and wifi

@jelv wrote:

With a bit of luck the engineer will give you a new master socket and filtered face plate. If he does you need to ask him to locate it where you want your router.

The Openreach engineer will on access give you a new NTE 5C master socket (it's policy). It is unlikely to have a "filtered faceplate". You will not "need" to to have it located where you want your router, though if practicable it can do no harm.

Sounds possible you may have a loop fault somewhere, unfortunetely if this is on your side you will be charged.

All IMO.

brennanthurston
Grafter

Whatever filtered means.....

One last question:

I heard that it is better to have your router/Wifi so that the signal can "drop/spread from above" (i.e. upper floor) rather than have it downstairs so the signal has to "rise".....is that true?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've never heard that one before and can think of no reason why it would be so!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The issue should now be resolved: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Worst-connection-EVER/m-p/1428603#M313833

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@brennanthurston wrote:

I heard that it is better to have your router/Wifi so that the signal can "drop/spread from above" (i.e. upper floor) rather than have it downstairs so the signal has to "rise".....is that true? 

In theory, the signal will radiate at 0° all around the router. In practice, it will always be angled upwards to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the frequency and proximity to ground level. It will certainly not 'drop from above'.

Better therefore, in a two storey house, for the router to be on the ground floor.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

My router is upstairs - I get full wireless speed on the laptop downstairs.

Also my router is mounted on an internal wall in a room at one end of the house. I get full speed in the bedroom at the other end which is "underneath" the router.

I've also had the router downstairs and noticed no difference when using the laptop in the room above.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

It makes no difference in my house either. I was just indicating to the OP that there's no 'gravity' effect, and that in more challenging environments a lower placement is more likely the better option.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You can't say a lower placement is better (or worse). If the router has external aerials the user could position them to give good coverage downstairs. With internal aerials it depends on how they are configured and how the router is aligned; if the router is on a stand and there is one along the lower or upper edge the coverage in a room directly below could be way better than in a room on the same floor at the other end of the house. There's just way too many variables to make any recommendation.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I spent a long time trying to work out the best location for both my TG582n and then 2704n routers in terms of wi-fi coverage. The basic rules are that solid walls, metal objects, and mirrors are particularly good at blocking the signal, and it pays to try to visualise how the signal will travel from where the router is sited to the places you are most likely be wanting to receive it (a couple of feet can make the difference between good and bad reception when sitting in your favourite armchair, for instance.) A wi-fi signal strength measuring app (like Wi-fi Analyser) will help you check the signal in different parts of the house, and also help make sure you are not connecting via a particularly congested channel.

Mine is mounted vertically on the edge of a shelf in my upstairs 'office', which does help to prevent much of the signal being immediately blocked by nearby walls, and moving a large wall-hung mirror a few feet to the left made a big difference to reception in some parts of my (downstairs) living room.