Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ethernet and wifi

brennanthurston
Grafter

No ethernet and wifi

I know you are not going to answer or react but just for the records:

I have no internet access as soon as I try to run a computer via Ethernet cable and the other on WiFi

Is it ignorance , incompetence or just a display of couldn't be bothered she's leaving, anyway?

Brexnet....better out than in.

Jule

23 REPLIES 23
brennanthurston
Grafter

Re: No ethernet and wifi

If this is an exercise in how to teach a bloody foreigner a lesson on how not to approach a glorious British company, here's my way of dealing with you:

I'll cancel my direct debit tomorrow. In other words: you have 24 hours to get my line sorted.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are still having problems with your broadband connection. I've tested your line and the loop condition fault on your line is still there. Have you tried connecting your router into your test socket yet?

Please let me know how you get on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just looked through your previous posts and the answers you've been given and there's no other way to describe other than by saying you are being bloody-minded, stupid and continually obstructing Plusnet's efforts to help you.

You have been asked to plug your modem in to the test socket to eliminate anything inside the house causing the issues.

You need to be aware:

• Everything from the exchange up to the test socket is Plusnet's (and their suppliers responsibility)
  • From the socket everything inside the house, particularly extension sockets are your responsibility
  • It is not uncommon for something plugged in to another phone extension socket to cause issues with broadband

If the cause of the issues is your side of the test socket you will be charged.

You were told how to use the test socket here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Worst-connection-EVER/m-p/1415036#M312648

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Also: please don't keep staring new topics - it makes it much harder to follow what's been going on before.

I'll also add: if you leave Plusnet and move to another ADSL provider it is very, very likely that your problems will follow you.

brennanthurston
Grafter

Now my landline is dead but my internet connection works (sort of).....I just tried to ring my landline number and got the message that "the person you are calling is on the phone" in other words my landline is occupied....how can that be????Someone using my landline? I'm surely not going to pay for that!!

Weird, weird, weird..

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plug a phone only in to the test socket inside the master socket and see if you get a dial tone then. If you do dial 17070. Make sure it tells you the correct number then take option 2 quiet line test to make sure there is no background noise.

If those checks fail report a phone line fault not a broadband fault. When the phone line is fixed it is highly likely your broadband will start working correctly.

brennanthurston
Grafter

What is a test socket? I haven't got a test socket.

My phone line has gone dead, as I say, when I try to ring our home number it says "occupied". The broadband seems to be working for the time being but very, very slow. Wifi works (very slow as well) as I just used my printer (Wifi)....

This is all very weird.

brennanthurston
Grafter

I've now unscrewed my phone sockets:

the one with the fuse is in our hallway....no "test socket"

the one with basically nothing in it is in my front room/bureau....certainly no test socket in there?

brennanthurston
Grafter

I've now turned the place upside down. There is no main socket. The only other thing/box we have is a tiny something right on our door where the cable comes in (from above).

I am at a complete and utter loss now.....

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thank you for getting back to us @brennanthurston

@brennanthurston wrote:

Now my landline is dead but my internet connection works (sort of).....I just tried to ring my landline number and got the message that "the person you are calling is on the phone" in other words my landline is occupied....how can that be????Someone using my landline? I'm surely not going to pay for that!!

I am sorry to hear your phone service has stopped working. A loop condition fault I detected is essentially a short circuit somewhere and can cause very intermittent and unique symptoms.

@brennanthurston wrote:

I've now turned the place upside down. There is no main socket. The only other thing/box we have is a tiny something right on our door where the cable comes in (from above).

I am also sorry to hear you don't have a test socket.

We won't be able to easily determine if this problem is caused by internal wiring however I would like to run a line test without any equipment plugged into any of your sockets - this would tell us if any of your equipment is causing this loop. 

If the fault still exists we could either arrange an Openreach engineer to investigate further, though there would be the possibility of the engineer callout fee should the issue lie with your internal wiring

Alternatively, you could hire a third party engineer/electrician to check out your wiring first.

I'll be happy to give you a call to progress this.

If you private message me with a contact number (preferably a mobile phone so I can run tests down your line with your equipment disconnected), and the best time/day to call next week. I'm in every weekday around 9-5 except Friday.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you normally have something plugged in to both sockets? Which one do you normally have the router connected to?

Something extra you could do would be to unplug everything and then ring your number to see if it still says the phone is being used. That would indicate that the fault is external.

If that fails I recommend you report a phone fault via https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your input @jelv, I'm told the engineer's booked in Monday for them.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

With a bit of luck the engineer will give you a new master socket and filtered face plate. If he does you need to ask him to locate it where you want your router.

brennanthurston
Grafter

@jelv

Do you normally have something plugged in to both sockets? Which one do you normally have the router connected to?

Something extra you could do would be to unplug everything and then ring your number to see if it still says the phone is being used. That would indicate that the fault is external.

I only use the "empty" socket, the one in my front room....

Just now I unplugged everything and tried to ring my number.....still the same "the person you are calling...."

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.