Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No engineer came to set up??

FIXED
Salome

No engineer came to set up??

Hi everybody,

I am a bit confused and I need help. I moved in my flat a few days ago and I subscribed to Plus net. When I subscribed, I was charged £50 for an engineer to come an install everything for me. I ask if it was necessary since I already have the proper socket in my flat, they said yes. Then I was told in an email to not set up the router I received before the appointment with the engineer.

Well, the appointment was supposed to be this morning and no one came. However, I received an e-mail from Plus net saying that I could set up my router.

So I have a few questions : 

- Why did I have to book an appointment and no one came?

- Can I set up the router myself ? (I guess it is stupid easy but since I was told to wait for the engineer, I don't know)

- Why was I charged for nothing and how can I get my money back? I paid £50 for someone to come and they didn't, so I don't want to pay for a service that didn't happen.

By the way, I tried to ring them but I each time I hear a weird tone for a few secondes and then it hangs up.

Can anyone help me?? 

Thank you so much in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: No engineer came to set up??

Fix
Hello,

A warm welcome to the forums. The £50 charge is not for setting up the modem / router but for connecting the phone line.

“I already have the proper socket in my flat”

You might have a socket, but that is not the same as a working line. The terminating equipment might well be in place, but the external connection might have been taken out of service.

A BT engineer commissioning a line will only need access to the master socket which in the majority of installations is within the user’s front door. In the case of premises of multiple occupancy, master sockets could well be located in a communal area (services cupboard) and thus there was no need for access to your flat. These are not details which would be available to ISPs - they do not have access to such infrastructure information.

If you ordered FTTC then the bulk of the engineering work will have been in the green street cabinet.

If you have been advised that the service has been commissioned and there is a dial tone on the line, just plug the router in, make a brew and be ready to surf the net.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Salome

Re: No engineer came to set up??

Thank you for your advice. I was absolutely not familiar with the process and very confused about how to deal with it. I set up my router and it is working just fine.

Thank you again for your help!