cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No encouragement to upgrade?

plusnet242424

No encouragement to upgrade?

Have just asked PN what speed I might expect if I took an "up to 20Mb" product - I currently get about 4.5 although this is hopefully creeping back up to 5.5 with BT's DLM - understandably PN did not want to make any promises but were unwilling to give any indication and were also not willing to let me go back to an "up to 8mb" product without penalty if I did not get a reasonable speed increase.  The penalty was either £30 up front or a lock-in to a 12 month contract and I didn't feel it was appropriate since I have been a customer for 8 years and did not want any hardware.
Since my conversation I have read Jameseh helpful post - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80204.0.html
However, I don't feel encouraged to pay more for an upgrade to something that may not be of benefit
18 REPLIES 18
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No encouragement to upgrade?

Putting your attenuation in to the page linked below should give you a good indication.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
What was the £30 for?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

am under the belive there is no charge to be upgraded to 21cn adsl2+. i thought as existing customers you had to upgraded to PRO or PREMINUM and request to be moved to adsl2+
your in that speed band where adsl2+ is not likely to  make much if any improvment apart from the upload,
James
Grafter

Re:No encouragement to upgrade?

Hiya,
The £30 applies to the charge that we would incur to move you back to IPStream.
Your current speeds are unfortunately in the bracket whereby you may not see an improvement on ADSL2 and it's very difficult (read as impossible) to give you a guarantee of improved speed.
However, if you did want to move back to an ADSL service, we could just put you on the upto 8Mbps variant offered on the 21CN platform which should give you exactly what you're getting now.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: ASBO
i thought as existing customers you had to upgraded to PRO or PREMINUM and request to be moved to adsl2+

Nope, PN have stated some legacy products will get the upgrade too, but they have not given a date for when that will happen nor the products that will be upgraded.  Undecided
It should be Unlimited and BBYW would get  the updates I think as it was talked about at the time. But that's my speculation only.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
scootie
Grafter

yeah i was talking more about geting adsl2+ right now, i dont reckon they will use unlimted on adsl2+ to be honest
godsell4
Rising Star

try http://www.plus.net/residential/homepage_plusnet_unlimited.html
--
3Mb FTTC
scootie
Grafter

granted its on the unlimited page but it dosent seem as thoe its attached to that specfic product
if they was going to use unlimited on adsl2+ why would they replace it with preminum, they kepted the other 2 packages
lenseman
Grafter

if they was going to use unlimited on adsl2+ why would they replace it with preminum, they kepted the other 2 packages

I guess I was either lucky or unlucky depending how you look at it, I am on unlimited and ADSL2+ 21CN Smiley
John B.
godsell4
Rising Star

granted its on the unlimited page but it dosent seem as thoe its attached to that specfic product

It is/was attached to the pop up page which appeared when you clicked on 'More Info' from the main www.plus.net frontpage which advertised the PN Unlimited account.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I guess I was either lucky or unlucky depending how you look at it, I am on unlimited and ADSL2+ 21CN

So am I but I'm beginning to think Premium at 80GB is more than most will use and appears to have better shaping.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't understand why all products aren't being transferred to 21CN (once they get it working).
BT charge less for it and the the "up to 8Mbps" products can be speed-limited.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What makes you think that isn't going to happen? Why do you think they looked at IPSC for the exchanges not on 21CN?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Re:No encouragement to upgrade?

Hi Jeremy,
Ultimately (and I stress this is long term), I'd expect us to move our entire base to WBC & IPSC, be it on the 8Mbps or 24Mbps variant (WBC).
It makes sense from a cheaper tail cost aswell as the bandwidth being slightly cheaper, couple with the fact that we have greater flexibility over bandwidth increases.
plusnet242424

Thanks to all who have replied with ideas/thoughts/info - I guess I was getting over-excited that "up to 20mb" would be one of those memorable speed hikes (I still fondly recall when I changed my 512 modem for a 1024 - and thought I'd never crave a faster connection ever) - for now I will let inertia wash over me and stay with "up to 8mb"
Smiley