cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection since 'joining' Plusnet

robinelvin
Grafter

No connection since 'joining' Plusnet

I'm posting this here in case someone at Plusnet is watching and able to resolve. I've read a few posts regarding no/loss of connection and unacceptably long times to resolve. To be fair it does seem to be issues with BT but as my contract is with Plusnet and not BT it should be up to them to resolve.
I've had a faultless experience with Tiscali which I stopped using around 4 months ago. Now I've signed up with Plusnet with all the same equipment still plugged in and I've had no service since the order was supposedly complete. Plusnet eventually got BT to come out who allegedly fixed the issue although I have my doubts over the competence of the engineer. In any case I'm no better off after his visit. I have to phone Plusnet customer support every night to get tell them I'm still not connected and to sort it out. I should not have to do this.
I am unable to phone customer support during the day and I've updated my ticket but so far had no response. I am not prepared to wait weeks for this service to be up and running. Plusnet will get another week and then I'm cancelling and asking for a refund. It shouldn't be this difficult!
I wonder how many other customers have had this kind of experience and what is the best way to resolve it?
54 REPLIES 54
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No connection since 'joining' Plusnet

Unfortunately we've seen quite a few instances like this recently. Does your router get sync with the exchange?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
robinelvin
Grafter

I'm not sure if it does. All status entries on both the modem and the router I've tested with have values which indicate no connection. I can't remember seeing anything that mentions 'sync' apart from the test page on the D-Link DSL-300T which says ADSL Synchronisation OK (or something similar) The segment ping tests on that page both fail however.
Again, another frustration is not knowing where the fault is. The only indication I really have is the green light which is off. I would like to do some diagnostics but I've no idea where to start.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That suggests it's an authentication issue. I presume support have double checked that you've entered the username correctly - it will be username@plusdsl.net
PS Have you seen my PM?
robinelvin
Grafter

No, they haven't checked the username. I've double-checked that I've got it right in as much as it's the one I log into the website with. The log doesn't say anything about authentication failed because I don't think it's even getting that far but I could be wrong.
Yes, I've seen your PM and I've tried to reply but the security image doesn't display so I can't! In short, the answer is yes but I'll reply properly when I get home. (Luckily I have mobile broadband!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The login isn't the same as the one you use to get on to the website, it must have the @plusdsl.net on the end.
robinelvin
Grafter

Yes, sorry. What I meant to say was that it is my web username with @plusdsl.net appended and the website password.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's the obvious problem ruled out!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Robinelvin,
I'm sorry about the delay here, I'm just running a test on the line and will pass the fault back for more investigation as soon as I've got the results. We should therefore get some more information back on the fault today, when we do I'll let you know and push it on further.
robinelvin
Grafter

I spoke to Plusnet support last night who ran a test and surprise, surprise it's a BT fault. I'm unable to pressure BT as I'm not their direct customer so it's unfortunate that Plusnet have to bear the brunt.
Let's hope they get it right this time  Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

OT: If anyone is wondering, we don't think we are related although our families do originate from the same area.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@robinelvin: The fault is still in hand with BTs diagnostics since it was passed back earlier this morning. I'll keep an eye out for any updates for you.
@jelv: Must admit I was wondering, in an idle speculation kind of way Smiley
robinelvin
Grafter

Thanks, Matt. Will you i.e. Plusnet be running another test after BT have done to prove it's actually fixed this time?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I certainly will do, yes.
robinelvin
Grafter

This is turning into a total farce. First BT come out to fix my line, the same line which is working perfectly for voice calls and had a solid Tiscali ADSL connection previously, and say they have rectified the fault. Which of course they haven't as anybody with the slightest amount of common sense can see that the only thing changed is the switch from Tiscali to Plusnet and therefore the fault is unlikely to be with the phone line. Apparently there is a '14Meg connection' to my house according the engineer and his test equipment. The fact that neither of my routers can see a carrier might have given him a clue.
After calling Plusnet for the umpteenth time and going through the checks again BT now say it's a fault at the exchange and that a tie-pair modification is required which will take 1-3 working days. Now it's day 4 of their estimate and guess what? No connection and also no update from BT. After calling Plusnet again I am told that there is no update and that someone will call me back. I'm still waiting. The introductory offer of £6.49 is now looking expensive as I've already spent nearly £5 in call charges phoning them let alone paying the connection fee.
I am sick and tired of having to phone Plusnet yet again to find out what's going on and also having to wait over 2 weeks to be connected. Surely it can't be that difficult? Sadly it would appear so.
I'm sure Plusnet has a lot of satisfied customers. I am not one of them.