cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection on my mac

Mumof4

No connection on my mac

help, my emac has crashed. Tech support told me there is a problem with the router.  They sorted it on my sons macbook but state they are not trained to deal with older macs!  Why am I paying for broadband if plusnet router does not support older macs?
Can anyone help with this problem?
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: No connection on my mac

Hi Mumof4,
Welcome to the forums.
What do you mean by "my Mac has crashed"?  If the Mac does not work at all, that is outside the responsibility of PlusNet to fix.  You will need to get the Mac rebuilt by someone with the skills and knowledge to do that.
If you mean that your Mac works OK but cannot access the internet, then that might be something which members of the forum can help you with.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mumof4

Nothing wrong with either the emac nor the macbook pro.  The router causes both computers to crash so that the only way to switch them off is by the wall socket.
Just been back on to tech support and got another tech man.  Problem sorted.  My emac is ancient, but still works and it is like one of the family.
Hate Windows PCs.  Especially my laptop that is windows 8.1. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Glad it's sorted, a few of us that don't know Macs were puzzled as to why it should be a problem, glad you got a better informed tech.
Mumof4

Thanks for the welcome.  Joined Plusnet at the weekend.  They cannot be any worse than TalkTalk.  I lost Wi fi connection every night between 4pm & 9 pm the whole eighteen months I was contracted to them.  When I said I was going with another provider they got very abusive on the phone.
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: Mumof4
The router causes both computers to crash so that the only way to switch them off is by the wall socket.
Just been back on to tech support and got another tech man.  Problem sorted. 

Out of interest how was it fixed? I'm curious to know what would cause the mac to crash like that.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

possibly switched ipv6 off, that caused problems on some macs.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Mumof4
I lost Wi fi connection every night between 4pm & 9 pm the whole eighteen months I was contracted to them.

Hi Mumof4,
Would never want to defend Talk Talk, but of you are loosing WiFi then that is not likely to be an ISP issue.  It rather sounds like WiFi congestion around you.  You could use something like inSIDDer V3 (its free) on your WinPC to see what other networks are nearby.  Then look a selecting a channel less congested.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.