cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection - how long to resolve???

philip01278

No connection - how long to resolve???

I have had connection issues from the moment I connected the Technicolor router having previously been on BT Infinity 2. The PlusNet router keeps dropping connections. Ticket 87747383 was raised on 26 June with a reply saying there was nothing wrong on 1 July. I reset the router and within 15 mins the connection dropped again. The ticket was updated on 1 July but is still awaiting a response. It is now 7 days without any internet out of 9 days with PlusNet. NOT GOOD. How long must I wait for a resolution or do I accept the router is rubbish and reconnect the 'old' BT HomeHub 5 again?
I have left everything as it is (not working) to allow checking but I need to use the Internet ASAP
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: No connection - how long to resolve???

welcome to the forum philip01278
nothing to stop you plugging the hh5 in, would certainly help diagnose where the issue might be. i.e. router or service.
are all the lights lit up correctly on the OpenReach modem (white box)?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
philip01278

Dvorak many thanks for prompt reply. The Open Reach router is fine - as part of the troubleshooting checklist I connected the PC directly into the Open Reach router and it was fine with usual fibre speeds recorded.
dvorak

does sound like it could be a faulty router, unfortunately PN staff probably won't be on until Monday now.
have you tried the HH5?
Customer / Moderator
philip01278

I will be doing that tomorrow morning. Will advise if the connection drops out again.
philip01278

5/7/14 Update. Still no internet connection so I have disconnected the Technicolor TG582n router and replaced it with a BT Home Hub 4 router (not the Home Hub 5 modem/router which has modem built in) in order to confirm that the BT Open Reach modem was working and the fault was definitely with the Technicolor router not the line.
Surprise, surprise! - the internet is now working and my first speedtest (Ethernet) was 70.68Mbps download and 17.34Mbps upload. What I was expecting and had been getting when with BT Infinity.
I maintain the Technicolor router is faulty but after waiting one week and still not be told there is a problem by PlusNet is unsatisfactory.
I propose to keep the BT HomeHub 4 connected until PlusNet supply a replacement router that works as it is supposed to do so I can get access to the internet at last.
I do not want to keep the BT router permanently as is blocks Port Forwarding to my IP Cameras which was part of my reason to change from BT in the first place. The PlusNet router (when it did work for 2 days) did allow the Port Forwarding so I want a working router please!
I hope its not too much to ask as a new customer.
dvorak

Glad you have got access at least, hopefully someone will pick this up and sort it for you.
Customer / Moderator
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Port forwarding on BT HB 4 - are these of any help?
Re: Port Forwarding on Home Hub 4
Options
on ‎09-02-2014 20h48
Use the IP address not the device name.
This page should help.
Port forwarding problems http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/portforward.html

There are some CCTV example on this page.
Help with setting up routers, repeaters, Smart TVs, printers, CCTV, NAS, VOIP http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hardware_menu.html
Taken from here https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Port-Forwarding-on-Home-Hub-4/td-p/909354
Found with this Google search "bt home hub 4 port forwarding"

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

philip01278

Townsman thanks for the information. The links don't work since I get a warning saying they only work from a BT connection and I am now on PN. I have looked at them previously, however, without success hence the reason to change to PN.
Interestingly I have had a message from PN this morning to advise they are sending me a new router. Thank you.
dvorak

Good news 
Customer / Moderator
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Does this help? http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/
I've no experience with BT hh but I find it incredible that they are so locked down that you cannot open ports - I accept it might be difficult, but not impossible, as that would be exceedingly unhelpful!
Just taken a look here - http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Home_Hub_4/iMessage.htm - thus is not dissimilar to the TG approach.
On the TG routers you need to know what you are doing, but it's all available via the UI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

Quote from: Townman
I've no experience with BT hh but I find it incredible that they are so locked down that you cannot open ports - I accept it might be difficult, but not impossible, as that would be exceedingly unhelpful!

That's one thing that really puts me off going with BT, how it's all really locked down.
Customer / Moderator