cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection from 8AM

bg17aw
Dabbler

No connection from 8AM

I can connect to my router, but no internet access since 8AM. It is now almost 12 hours with no service.
I tried calling technical support, they told me they can see service is down from 8 AM, but only advice was to reset router as it might have lost settings... Now I am dealing with routers for 10 years and never heard such things, how can a router loose settings...
Waiting to get support on the phone is almost impossible, I waited 20 min when I called a few hours ago.
Now when I called the second time, I was presented with a different menu !
Now I am on hold for 30 minutes and counting... I am more and more considering canceling and moving to another company, although yes, I know most of them offer poor customer support. Still, I am without internet and cannot contact anyone to get help, seems like I am stuck.
One interesting fact, the engineer that came to install the service worked almost 4 hours, during which he tried contacting the tech team on the phone AND WAS UNABLE TO... they are too busy even for their own engineers!
The engineer came with bad tests on the line but said it must be a faulty tester.
37 REPLIES 37
bg17aw
Dabbler

Re: No connection from 8AM

Any answer? Anything at all? I can see some plusnet staff members answering others, yet I seem to get no answer.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have also been dealing with routers for 10 years, both my own and those belonging to my clients.  In that time have seen several that spontaneously reset themselves to their factory state.  Two that I remember specifically were both within half a mile of where I live and in both cases it happened repeatedly (until the router was junked).  It was a fatal error because the username and password required for internet access is lost.  Recent Plusnet-supplied routers self-install so, I believe, in principle should recover spontaneously from a factory reset, intended or otherwise.  I might be wrong so don't try this at home.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi bg17aw,
Apologies for the wait when trying to get through to us.
The router should not lose its setting unless it has a fault. Did you try re-entering your username and password to see if that would connect:?
bg17aw
Dabbler

Hi, the main problem was the line not working.
The engineer came today and solved the line issue, which had a problem somewhere in a box where probably another engineer worked and slammed the box door apparently on the cable, damaging it.
Now I have internet again, the modem was declared faulty but seems to be working right now.
My main problem is that although I had about 38Mbps download/15Mbps upload when the service was installed 10 days ago, and was told it might go even higher, now I only get 14Mbps download / 13 Mbps upload.
I don't get, I only bought the service because it was advertised as 78Mbps. The exchange sync speed for my location is 62Mbps. I want to get at least 60Mbps as per terms and conditions, that state the estimate speed and real speed should only differ by about 1Mbps.
If nobody actually gets that speed, we got a case of misleading advertising. I have yet to see someone saying they are getting that speed. I think as consumers we should get together and do something, I want to see advertising for 40Mbps and people saying they are getting that speed. Until then, BBC watchdog and other organizations, including OFCOM should try rectify this.
bg17aw
Dabbler

"Phone exchange: SUNDERLAND
Estimated line speed: 62Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-08-17 15:57:59
Current line speed: 78 Mb"
I also enabled ping on my router. I will wait but my aim is to get 60Mbps down / 19 Mbps up, if not, I might as well switch to the cheapest DSL contract, cancelling the current one under the 3 month window.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've checked your current sync speed and it is at 64.7Mb/s down and 19Mb/s up. Are you able to try a PPPoE connection so we can rule the router out as being an issue?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I was wondering why my line profile is limited to 62meg by BT when my sync speed has remained fairly stable at 77.4meg.....
but my speed test results are never better than 45down/16 up, yet if I wait till 0330 and run a test I generally get 60/20 results, yet when I first got my FTTC line I was popping 70+  on download and my ip profile was 77.0
perhaps a large part of the problem is not that people aren't syncing at the correct speed but that download testers are giving up slow results, like this one http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ which cant actually measure speeds above 40meg.....
and it gives me a count of 33/12 when both speedtest.net and btw testers show 45/16 (approx. figures)

hell half of the so called speed testers are only designed to measure adsl speeds (up to 20/5).
it would really help if the modem sync speed was accessible to view on a pc, and certainly it would eliminate a lot of the problems being reported as the only thing we (the customers) have to go on are dodgy congested overused speed test reports that give off false data (speedtest.net now give lower results unless your using chrome as your browser, which is a typical cheep trick from Google),
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@nanotm
Your current line sync speed is 73.3Mb/s. Have your tried running a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd recommend using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html - that is definitely capable of better than FTTP speeds so FTTC will be a breeze.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro

yeah I do one every few days and it always gives roughly the same results,
don't get me wrong I know its not a fault the bandwidth available changed when the other 8 houses on my cabinet (we have a private fibre pipe from the exchange) all got connected, we all get the same throughput speeds and our sync speeds are within 20 meg of each other (some of them are on the 120meg product so there slightly higher sync'd) but the backhaul out of the exchange here is underserved given the numbers connected, so BT being BT there just splitting the bandwidth across all the online connections....

my point really is that a lot of people are complaining about speed drops but what they actually mean is the download checkers are registering low numbers, whilst I understand PlusNet is trying to provide capacity so that even bronze level traffic is provisioned at maximum bandwidth there's a lot of factors like servers not being capable of offering the higher speeds, never mind all the routing information and the fact a bunch of so called speed test websites are actually fudging figures depending on what supplier or what browser you use.
also the btw tester shows I have a fixed ip profile 10meg (roughly) lower than my sync speed on the downstream (the upstream is set at 20) which is in line with what they *think* my line is capable of, as for the sync speed the only way for me to see what it is, is to look in my profile page on PlusNet (just like every other fibre customer) unless I hack the modem, which is probably whats causing so many reports of speed dropping when really nothing has changed (as in the link is still live at the high sync it would be expected to be at)
also the speed test results are always better when most people are asleep and not using them, daytime tests are only good for showing the ip profile and serious faults (like fibre only achieving ADSL speeds) unless you are able to use the tap 3 test (which BT seem to have removed to hide there capacity issues from customers) to see what your actual throughput is without needing to share the service with thousands of other people who are also checking there speed.....
nanotm
Pro

@jelv
it gives pretty much the same result but the most important part of the whole thing is the last paragraph on the results page
NOTE: Variable speed products and those sold as 'up to' a specific speed may not reach the maximum advertised download or upload speeds. This can be due to the length of your phone line, ISP network congestion or traffic shaping, wireless networks or shared users/programs on your connection. Any results generated are not a guarantee of your true connection speed.

I colour changed the most relevant part

it also doesn't give ip profile of the line which the btw tester does give, and even that carries the same message about the speed achieved is only relevant to the test
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

my point really is that a lot of people are complaining about speed drops but what they actually mean is the download checkers are registering low numbers, whilst I understand PlusNet is trying to provide capacity so that even bronze level traffic is provisioned at maximum bandwidth there's a lot of factors like servers not being capable of offering the higher speeds, never mind all the routing information and the fact a bunch of so called speed test websites are actually fudging figures depending on what supplier or what browser you use.

We would normally request speed test at different times of the day for this.
also the btw tester shows I have a fixed ip profile 10meg (roughly) lower than my sync speed on the downstream (the upstream is set at 20) which is in line with what they *think* my line is capable of, as for the sync speed the only way for me to see what it is, is to look in my profile page on PlusNet (just like every other fibre customer) unless I hack the modem, which is probably whats causing so many reports of speed dropping when really nothing has changed (as in the link is still live at the high sync it would be expected to be at)

Can you post your details from a BT speed test after running further diagnostics?
nanotm
Pro

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
46.83 Mbps

0 Mbps 60.95 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 46.83 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  16 Mbps-60.95 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 60.95 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
15.71 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.71Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

as requested
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you know how long your profile has been on 60.95?