cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband

Tessa1
Hooked

No broadband

I was with EE and had no phone or broadband issues. I moved to Plusnet two weeks ago and have not had any broadband since.
After several frustrating chats an engineer apparently went to my house and checked the broadband was working up to the point it enters the house.
My phone line is fine, I can make and receive calls although I actually only use my mobile so having Plusnet only to get junk calls is no consolation.
I have tried resetting the router with a pin, turning it offfor a while and turning it on and playing around with router details under instructions of Plusnet tech team all to no avail.
I have been told an engineer will need to attend during working hours but I will have to give 3 dates and the time slots are so long I would effectively need to have a whole day off work which is hard to get last minute.
So I want to see if there is anything I can try.
The router shows steady power, broadband and WiFi lights but no internet light.
I have an iPad and an iPhone both of which see the Plusnet account in settings. The iPad is WiFi only but on my iPhone if I have WiFi on in settings I cannot get onto the internet on mobile data as somehow the WiFi blocks it. I have to turn off WiFi to get onto the internet on mobile data.
Absolutely nothing has changed at home from having normal internet service with EE on Sunday to having no service with Plusnet on Monday two weeks ago.
Any suggestions about anything else I can try?
Tessa
21 REPLIES 21
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: No broadband

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. Our tests are showing your line is out of sync with the equipment at the exchange which seems to be the opposite of what your router is advising that your router is in sync as evidenced by the solid broadband light you've said you're seeing.

This indicates there's a type of crossed line issue, unfortunately as testing isn't showing an external fault the only way we'll be able to progress this as a fault with Openreach would be by arranging another engineer visit to investigate further.

If you can update your ticket Here with your availability letting us know over here once you've done so we'll pick this back up as soon as we can and book the appointment in.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tessa1
Hooked

So now its 3 1/2 weeks with no broadband.

I had no problems at all until I moved from EE to plusnet.

I have a telephone line that works.  There are no noises on the line.

The router shows power, broadband and wi-fi lights steady and unblinking.  The internet light is not on.

The router is set up correctly, I have checked and re-checked.  I have endlessly switched it off and left it off for half an hour to see if this would re-set things, it hasn't.

I have re-set using the reset point, no change.

I am at my wits end.

I often waste time on the internet but I do need to look at emails and check things out from time to time.

Do you have any suggestions of what you imagine the problem could possibly be.

I know you say I need to give you 3 days I can be off work to wait in for an engineer but really that is not possible at the moment.  I have arranged to have a day off work next Wednesday, but that is over a week away and is not the way I had hoped changing provider would leave me.

Really you must have some idea how simply changing from EE to plusnet has left me without the internet for nearly a month.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Tessa1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with our services. Having retested your line today, I'm afraid that our previous response still stands; essentially, there's nothing further we can do at this stage other than looking to arrange an engineer visit in the near future to continue with the fault investigation. As this is the case I would advise to respond to the ticket that @Gandalf has linked in his post as soon as you're able to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Have you tried dialling 17070 and confirmed that the number reported is your number?

Have you tried phoning the number to confirm it rings out properly?

If you do not have a phone hand set you can pick one up for less than £5. They are an essential diagnostic asset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think unless testing finds an external fault the only way to progress this is by arranging an engineer visit unfortunately regardless of whether the phone number is correct.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Anoush,

I agree but an end user test might confirm a crossed circuit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Townman

It's possible but it's unlikely going to change how we'll need to progress the fault I'm afraid. Unfortunately quite simply as there's no external fault being found via a line test we have to arrange an engineer appointment.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tessa1
Hooked

Yes the phone number is correct, I have phoned myself from my mobile and phoned my mobile from my landline.

The call comes through with no problem, which is why I don't know what on earth I am having a day off work for an engineer to check and no one at plusnet is willing to explain what they would be looking for.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The engineer visit we arrange would be to carry out an investigation into the fault.

I understand the frustration but as per my previous responses I'm afraid we cannot arrange an engineer to go out without booking an appointment if line tests do not fail with an external fault.

The outcome of a line test decides on how a fault report progresses in the Openreach system. There is no option for either us or our suppliers BT to open a fault report with Openreach without booking an engineer if line tests pass.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tessa1
Hooked

But as I have repeatedly asked, what possible fault could there be?

So it worked fine until I moved to your service.

The only difference inside the house is the new router.

The phone line works fine.

Its a puzzle, what on earth would explain this.

You seem certain that an engineer looking at exactly what I have told you will somehow be able to diagnose this.

But as there is a single wire running from outside to the phone master socket, which is wired appropriately and works with the phone.  What possible explanation is there?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Tessa.
It’ll be difficult to advise because line tests aren’t showing the cause for the issue however based on the information in front of us, my guess would be the line is cross jumpered at the exchange.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf If the fault is at the exchange which appears to be the case surely there is no need for Openreach to access the property, they could test the line back to the exchange from the external distribution point so avoiding the need for the OP to take time off work.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately that's not an option when booking an engineer with Openreach. If the problem was definitely detected as external, then no appointment would be needed, however as it's not 100% then I'm afraid the next step is an engineer visit.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tessa1
Hooked

So if anyone else has the same problem I had it might be good for you to know the outcome.

so after nearly 5 weeks with no internet.

Endless phone calls and attempts to online chat to plus net where no one responded. 

Friends and family coming over and pondering the mystery of the problem.  Going and getting a new router to see if that fixed it and eventually having to take a day off work to wait for an engineer.

And do you want to know what the problem was, plus net had given the wrong co-ordinates (some string of numbers) for the set up at the exchange.  The engineer duly went to the exchange and corrected it and my internet is working.

To say this has been a really aggravating waste of my time does not begin to explain things.

Tessa