cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband light on router - no even flashing. New Install

tooslow
Grafter

No broadband light on router - no even flashing. New Install

Had OpenReach install new telephone phone yesterday at property they then told they had to go the exchange and test the line - came back and told me all was ok and that they has EVEN activated the broadband on the line.
So I told Plusnet this and they said they would activate it their end but it could take up til the 9th December still.
Problem is that I plug in the technicolour router and the BROADBAND LIGHT does not even come on or flash ------ is this common or a fault with the line, or router?

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: No broadband light on router - no even flashing. New Install

Hi tooslow,
Welcome to the forum. If the Broadband light isn't flashing, it sounds to me that the broadband hasn't been activated by BTw at the exchange. Openreach may have done the jumpering perhaps.
The only other possibility is that have you got everything that's plugged into any phone sockets plugged in via Microfilters look like this?
Or if no extension sockets, and just a new NTE5A that looks similar to this one but the Openreach logo will be in grey print, it may have been fitted with one of the new vDSL Filtered Plates (SSFP) such as this.
In which case do you have the modem/router plugged into the top socket and any phone &/or other equipment in the bottom socket?
tooslow
Grafter

Just an ntesa plate and micro filter. So despite the BT engineer telling me that they had activated NY broadband and Plusnet confirming that it is ready to use, still no green light is normal??!
Could you check with BT that is it active and not an equipment fault?
jim:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'll point a CRT member your way.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I see you've opened a fault ticket, this has picked up a potential issue on the phone line. Is there any noise on the line at all? Try plugging a single handset into the master socket and going through the quiet line test by dialling 17070.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I see you've opened a fault ticket, this has picked up a potential issue on the phone line. Is there any noise on the line at all? Try plugging a single handset into the master socket and going through the quiet line test by dialling 17070.

I cannot do that as i do not have a landline phone handset.  What else can you do? Send the engineers back!?? I hope that I am not paying for this is there is a fault.
Let me know.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: tooslow
do not have a landline phone handset.  
Always a good idea to have a basic one, at the very least you can use it to call support for free, and of course check the line is working.
Only a fiver from Argos, so. "Every home should have one" : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5526527.htm
Meanwhile just borrow one from a neighbour.
Chris
Legend

If you can do the test it'll be really helpful. In the meantime I've tested the line and there's a 'battery contact' fault being reported. This should mean that it can be resolved without a visit to your premises, I've updated the fault ticket with this information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tooslow
Grafter

So if I buy a phone and do the quiet line test, what is it I should hear or report back?
Chris
Legend

You should hear nothing, absolutely nothing. If there are any crackles, hissing, pops, whistles or other noise then let us know.
tooslow
Grafter

Okay, and do I take off the face plate and plug the phone into the socket behind it, or just plug it into the bt box?
tooslow
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
You should hear nothing, absolutely nothing. If there are any crackles, hissing, pops, whistles or other noise then let us know.

Okay - plugged a phone in and did the 'quiet line test' - no noise, crackles, pops or hisses to report. Now what? Why is my broadband not up? Have BT activated it? They told me they had when they installed the box.
Chris
Legend

The phone line test I've performed detected something not quite right on the line, we'll need to wait for that to be repaired (which could possibly fix the broadband issue too) before we can report a fault on the broadband. Unfortunately we can only have a phone or broadband fault open, not both and generally if there is a phone line issue it's going to cause problems for the broadband which is why we try to resolve them first.
tooslow
Grafter

Okay. And will the issue you detected be repaired remotely - likely timescale?
Also, is there a way for you to check that everything has been activated by BT to enable the broadband to work - this it to eliminate the fact that it may be be activated at the exchange.
Am I likely to be able to get some service today?
Chris
Legend

Your broadband order hasn't completed. That's why you can't connect at the moment.
On the initial emails, and a couple of updates since, we advised that your phone service was due to go active on the 2nd and that once it was active we'd place the order for your broadband service which would take 5-7 working days. Your broadband is due to go active on the 9th December.
It's probably still worthwhile letting us look at the home phone issue that's been detected.