cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband after new sign up

jgdpieman

No broadband after new sign up

Hi, maybe someone on here can help, as hours on the phone to Plusnet support has yielded nothing so far. So from the beginning....

March 3rd...Signed up to Plusnet to transfer phone and broadband from John Lewis, confirmation of order received, advised 10 to 15 working days til switchover.

March 4th...Received text message and email welcoming me to Plusnet and informing me that my telephone service was now active with plusnet (broadband still working on John Lewis)

March 5th...Broadband not working, bb light green, internet light red. Tries to connect, fails, tells me username and password are incorrect.

went to router homepage, tried signing in with plusnet details, still no joy. tried with john lewis details....details incorrect. 

Received email from John Lewis saying goodbye, as from March 5th you will no longer be able to access JL telephone line or broadband services.

Called Plusnet support, told that order had gone through, broadband was active on line. Taken through settings on router several times, took serial to activate from their end...still no joy. Tried two further routers...no joy. Told to wait for the Plusnet router that would be despatched same day.

March 7th....router arrived, setup, no difference. Rang support again.... taken through settings on plusnet router, pin reset several times, still nothing. Told that order had been put through as "21st century" order and i was on a 20th Century network, so order placed again, told it could take a few days.

March 18th... Still no broadband, plusnet router setup correctly, broadband light green, internet light red. Called support again, told that order had not gone through due, order to be placed again!!. Called back 30 minutes later by different department saying that the initial order had gone through and upon checking they can confirm that plusnet's 'tags' were on my line and broadband was indeed active. Taken through more steps on the router as operator had found some issues and corrected them, i just needed to pin reset the router then log in to the splendid unlimited internet...YAY.....but nothing. He could not see me trying to connect on his end of the network. Told it would have to be investigated further.

And besides the usual back and forward between departments, provisioning, support, 'next level' support, and the countless hours on hold, not to mention over 2 hours of actually talking to someone, that's the whole story. From perfect working broadband with john lewis on the 4th Mrch, to nothing on the 5th and thereafter. More confusing as obviously the john lewis broadband was supplied by Plusnet, so if everything worked for the JL broadband, why not the plusnet. Nothing has changed at my end, no new telephone wiring or extensions no different hardware, beside the plusnet router. Everything worked grand on JL before the switch over.

More annoying is the fact i have had to use 3g for internet which is needed for usual reasons plus medical ones as we live in a remote area and need to video call and email doctors and consultants in Scotland for our 2 ill children. 3g internet is 1..poor due to poor signal..2..damned expensive for anything more than a few gig.

So if someone could please take a look at this, i would greatly appreciate some help

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: No broadband after new sign up

Hi there.

I'm really sorry to see you've had a frustrating experience with your switch-over.

Unfortunately it looks like your service is still configured to work with John Lewis Broadband credentials. We generally don't need to manually set this, but as you're provisioned on our suppliers 20century equipment at the exchange it is needed.

The good news is that I've placed an order to correct that, which should go through within a few hours, at most 24 hours. In the meantime, it's likely that your JLB credentials won't work as that account would close as your Plusnet account activates.

If your router is setup and ready to go, it should start working as soon as the order completes, although you may need to login to your router settings to manually reconnect using your Plusnet login details.

I'll also ensure feedback is passed on to the appropriate advisers regarding the experience you've had, as I feel this could've been identified and fixed long ago. I'll be happy to take ownership of this and keep an eye on things moving forward. 

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgdpieman

Thank you for the swift reply. Indeed the JLB credentials dont work, and haven't done so for the last 2 weeks hence not having any service at all.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and thanks for getting back to me.

It looks like we have lift off (finally!):

Can you confirm the service is now working your side?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgdpieman

Yes we do have lift off. How strange that so many calls to support had no effect and two weeks have passed then at last someone who knows what they're doing corrects the matter almost immediately. Thank you so much for your help. Let's see if Plusnet are willing to supply me with one of their hubs by way of a sorry for the poor service, as the standard routers WiFi struggles in these old stone cottages.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to see you're up and running now.

These type of issues are a rarity nowadays as lines of 21century equipment don't need the same manual configurations, they're all done automatically. Although that certainly doesn't excuse the experience you've had, so I've made sure feedback is passed on to the appropriate advisers for further training or coaching when these provisioning requests crop up.

Regarding a goodwill gesture, I've added a reply to your ticket 188123051 which I hope helps. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet