cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Modem - no connection

Zinb

No Modem - no connection

Massively unimpressed with plusnet having previously been a satisfied customer for a number of years.
Was on a legacy product so being overcharged for a while, so suggested this to customer service who told me they could offer me a nice deal if I chose which product I wanted to switch too (bearing in mind the connection had been terrible over the preceding year). I since obliged and switched to fibre and added phone... Yet to have this "offer" made!
Anyway provisional date arrives, I contact service to check if it confirmed date...no confirmation. Engineer arrives does work but not modem nor socket - now without connection for 5 days with seemingly no word on what's happening.
I've found an old 2wire bt business hub does anyone know if it's possible to use this as a fibre modem (I have the fibre router) - also the complication of having to use micro filter?Huh
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: No Modem - no connection

I've found an old 2wire bt business hub does anyone know if it's possible to use this as a fibre modem
It's not I'm afraid. The BT Engineer shoul;d have brought the modem with him and installed it. There seems to have been 1 or 2 cases recently where this hasn't happened. Goodness knows what BT are playing at...
If you haven't already, I'd give the CSC a call since they may not know you have no modem. They would have expected the BT engineer to supply it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ Zinb - depends on which model of 2-Wire router - BT used the 2701HGV-C for business FTTC installations before moving to the Hub 3, and there is an uplink ethernet port for connecting to the fibre modem on that model.
Have a look on the label, or just count the number of ethernet ports - if there are 5 you could be in luck.
(actually, on re-reading the OP I see I am answering a question you have not asked, however, I'll leave the post here as it may be useful for others...)
So no, to confirm the previous answer to your question, none of the 2-Wire routers supplied by BT have an in-built VDSL modem.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Zinb,
Sorry to hear the engineer failed to install the modem and faceplate!
I've raised this with BT Openreach now and they'll make contact with yourself on the phone number on your account within in the next 4-8 working hours (later today or tomorrow morning) to arrange another visit by an engineer to complete this.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.