cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet & NO Internet light on router Thursday 19th April 4pm

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Internet & NO Internet light on router Thursday 19th April 4pm

Same here, once I'd tried all the PlusNet contact 0800 numbers, plus the status 0800, and they were all engaged, it was obvious there was a major problem.
So out came the Dongle.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Donut
I think your cobwebs have blown in my direction.
Oh and Some of us don't have dongles or smart phones
Donut  :0)

Have you got a twitter feed setup, with free sms forwarding to your normal mobile phone ?
Plusnet PLC
@plusnet
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Note for PlusNet staff
This
If you are still unable to connect following this outage please try forcing a connection via the configuration pages of your router.
(minus a couple of characters to fit into one tweet)
Perhaps should have been sent as a direct tweet, not just as a link or email, for those with no alternative means of connection
Donut
Grafter

Well I'm fed up pressing the speed test button for tonight ( 3rd night running ) , off t bed to dream of getting back my annual £360 worth of 12mb , not too much to ask really.
Donut.
piperhols
Dabbler

I have internet but at 0.2Mb/s. Have tried restarting router and forcing a DSL disconnect/reconnect and still only 0.2Mb/s - I'm syncing at 15,952Kbps download.

EDIT/ Just to add this this a BT Speed test
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.66 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 14.07 Mbps
BRABUS
Grafter

Quote from: piperhols
I have internet but at 0.2Mb/s.

Stop bragging....I have 0.13mb  Grin Grin Grin
Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BRABUS
Quote from: piperhols
I have internet but at 0.2Mb/s.

Stop bragging....I have 0.13mb  Grin Grin Grin

Ummmmm,oh well guess I shouldnt moan too much about my 1.94 MBs.compared with the 6 + I normally get............I'll hold off re-booting router for another day or two,see if it gets back it self.......................go and try Youtube now,see how good/bad it is at 1/3 speed....................... Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: PlusComUK
<snipped - quote as below>
Could it be your browser ?
I have noticed sometimes mine loses some user and password info for some websites, if lots of tabs opened, and slows down considerably, a reboot of browser always cures this for me.
Apple OSX Lion and Camino / Safari

It's absolutely nothing to do with the Browser. This is the (ppp session) Login information that's stored in the Modem/Router. In any event two different machines were used at the time to confirm no local issues when the broadband initially went down.

Quote from: walker23
Quote from: Anotherone
Another issue I noticed (and apparently I'm not the only one after a call to Tech Support) - my modem/router lost it's Login Username and Password at some later point during my attempts to reconnect. It wasn't a factory reset, all other preset settings were retained and sync wasn't lost (except when I decided to to a reboot).
I have for some considerable time wondered where BT have a Backdoor access to all Modem/routers  Shocked as a result of some strange little observations over a period of time. The most annoying of which would be the ability to remotely force a resync or worse a Factory reset  Angry
Remotely forcing a session disconnect can obviously be done by BT/ISP - that's not specifically a problem.
Have a look here: https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php and here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/tr69faq.shtml
[Edit - added quote for context]

It's NOT a TR69 enabled modem/router and even if it were, it wouldn't be deleting your Login Username and Password it would be setting them up correctly and to the best of my knowledge, it certainly doesn't do / isn't capable of Factory resets either.
Whilst  BTw/OR could force a resync by rebooting a linecard  (all users on the card would be affected) or the DSLAM/MSAN or even the whole exchange, the issue I was pondering  was whether there was some backdoor access to individual modem/routers. I am aware that there is a code that can be sent that forces a session disconnect as would interrupting the path anywhere between the CPE and the ISP.
In any event this is really starting to go off-topic The only reason for addressing it was if anyone else had experienced the same issue when trying to reconnect after the outage.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@skib10
It's sounds like you have an intermittent connection problem. You would be best to start your own thread and post the ADSL  Up & Down line starts from your modem/router and also say whether you can hear any crackling on your line when using the phone.
@Donut
I'd do a re-boot during daylight hours, at least an hour after sunrise.
@piperhols
If that sort of download speed persists tomorrow with a 14Mb+ profile, you need to raise a Fault.
@Tomplus73
I would reboot during daylight hours, as above.
@BRABUS
Is that your normal speed? If not a reboot in daylight hours as above, may help.
All above, for those who may be on a 20CN connection, you may have to wait upto 3 days for your Profile to recover if your sync speed was low before a reboot. Run the BT speedtester to check it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
I imagine we're going to see a few speed issues over the next few days, and it's not going to be easy to filter out genuine ones from ones caused by how the network's been left out of balance after yesterday's outage.
You can see on the graph how good it was up until then, so it's going take us a little time to get it back there.
Thanks.
Jojo Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jo,
Could you, or someone else, please explain all about balancing, out of interest, thanks
paulpicks21
Grafter

I have had a couple more disconnects this morning but speeds are fine.
paulpicks21
Grafter

My connection is currently down now.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: PlusComUK
Jo,
Could you, or someone else, please explain all about balancing, out of interest, thanks

Our connectivity works by having a bunch of physical machines with lots of ports into them.    Each machine can carry thousands and thousands of customers on them.  We've got these machines split between two sites.  What happened last night was that the connectivity dropped at one of the sites, meaning all the customers (pretty much half of our connected base) disconnected and reconnected soon after.    We balance those connections between the sites,so all those reconnections were spread between the two sites.
This means that we've suddenly got 2/3rds of our base on one side of the network vs 1/3rd on the other.  Therefore there is less bandwidth available per customer on the congested part of the network leading to slower speeds.  Therefore the platform is "out of balance".
We remedy this by changing the ratio at which customers connected to the less full half, (something which is easier on 21CN connectivity, than on 20CN) and by disconnecting customers on the more congested devices.
Does that make sense?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thanks for explaining it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which are the congested gateways? If you posted that information people seeing slow speeds could be advised to look at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway and if theirs is on the list to try a reconnect until they get one that isn't.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)