cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet + Terminology

Arborist

No Internet + Terminology

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read my post,
I am writing this via my new connection which is a Pay As You Go mobile dongle. I had to buy this as I currently have no connection and my mobile phone provider doesn't think a small town needs 3G! Lucky we have more than one provider for services me thinks..
Could someone please explain some of the terminology I have received since my internet packed up. In particular a 'copper wire fault' and a 'lift and shift' at the exchange. Also why would my internet connection not be authenticating?
I have the Plusnet router and am on the 8meg package. The router shows the power light, green broadband light but no internet light. When the service first stopped the internet light went red but that gave up soon after  Wink
BT Openreach have inspected my exchange but found nothing wrong so now I need a broadband engineer home visit which I have Tuesday. Am I old fashioned in thinking you cant just raise a fault and someone go do rather than several layers?
I have to say that as someone who has been on the internet since the 14,400 baud modem days this has been pants.
Sorry for such a negative first post  Cool 
2 REPLIES 2
AndyH
Grafter

Re: No Internet + Terminology

Can you look in your router log to see if there are any error messages?
Are you trying to login with username@plusdsl.net ?
Lift and shift = change the port you're connected to at the exchange (sometimes they are faulty)
Copper wire fault = normally an issue with the wiring from your house to the cabinet (can be a break or a bad joint)
Arborist

Re: No Internet + Terminology

Than you for your response, appreciated
At least I am clearer as to what the possible faults are if not a resolution!
I have been through the set-up with tech support. I assume we are okay with that aspect of the system..
I switched my router to look at the log. They all seem to be have been created in January and showed many things, that's a tech response! I did see many warning signs and events but suffice to say this will be hopefully sorted post BT visit on Tuesday. 
Fingers crossed and thanks again