cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Connection!

airkam

No Internet Connection!

Hi All,
I was hoping for some advice / guidance if anyone has had a similar problem.
For the past four days i've had no internet access. I've been with plus.net for about four years and have never had the connection drop completely! I have a Linksys router and the power and DSL lights are green, but the internet light is red.
Spoken to plus.net Customer Services but have not had a response / fix as yet. Not impressed.
I've tried the following:
- Connect to the test socket: Yes - same problem.
- Unplug all other devices from the line:  Yes - no change
- Use another microfilter: Yes - same problem persists.
I've tried another router and it still doesnt work. I recently got an email from plus.net moving me to 21CN do you think that could have an impact on this problem?
Any help / advice would be great!
Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No Internet Connection!

HI airkam,
Thanks for you time on the phone. Once you have carried out the test log ins let me know how you got on and I'll take it from there.
Jojo Smiley
airkam

Hi JoJo
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately trying the two test accounts didn't yield a bt landing page. Could you please advise?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have known routers that get a case of total amnesia, reset themselves to factory settings and so "forget" the user name and password required for internet access.  That would result in the symptoms you describe with power and DSL lights on but no internet access.  But from Joanne's response I guess she does not think that is your problem.
Even if the test logins did not yield a BT landing page, did they cause the internet light to turn green?  I understand you should be able to see the web page at http://bt.net/digitaldemo/ using the test login; perhaps you need to enter the address manually? 
airkam

Thanks for your post, ReedRichards.
I tried connecting normally and by using the test accounts using two seperate routers. Both routers displayed my original login details so in this case I don't think we have a case of router amnesia (but thanks for the suggestion).
When I tried using the test accounts, I didn't see the Internet light but the DSL light was on.
I'll try navigating to http://bt.net/digitaldemo/ manually tonight.
Thanks
Kam
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm pretty sure a successful login using the test account credentials would cause the router Internet light to come on (or turn from red to green).  I'm assuming you were using the BT test account credentials (as oposed to something specific to Plusnet), which should enable you to access just a few BT test web pages after you are logged in.
airkam

Hi ReedRichards - we tried the BT test account as well as the plusnet test account and neither worked. The internet light was still red.
Getting pretty frustrated now as it's been six days without any internet access and have not had any solutions from the faults team at Plus.Net!  Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi airkam,
I've had one of the faults guys looking at this for you. I believe he's spoken to you and he's waiting for you to get back to him. Let me know if you need me to pass anything on to him.
Jojo Smiley
airkam

Thanks, Jojo
Looks like someone needs to make an onsite vist. I've given the team 3 options. Hopefully they can come tmrw morning.
Thanks for all of you help. (I only wish the 'Yorkshire call centre' was as helpful).
airKam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi airkam,
Did you get your update?
Jojo Smiley
airkam

Hi Jojo
Plus net booked a BT engineer to come today between 8am and 1pm. As nobody has turned up I called support and they have informed me that someone has messed up and the booking was actually made for the 9th of August. Confirmation of a 4th of August booking is clearly documented on all of the support tickets. I've taken a day off of work for no reason. How bad can this 'award winning service'  get? I called yesterday to lodge an official complaint but was told that I can't complain because my contract states that broadband is a 'best efforts service'.
After being with Plus net for 4 years, I'm sorry to say that the company is run by clowns. Give me a Bangalore run helpdesk any day compared to this.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

About a year ago my phone line went dead.  I had two or three missed appointments form BT engineers until it transpired that the automated booking system just wasn't communicating the bookings to the engineers.  My phone line is with BT so that was just one bit of BT failing to communicate with another bit.    
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi airkam,
Sorry to hear that. We believe it may have been down to unforeseen resourcing issues. We have now booked one for you this Saturday morning so you don't have to arrange any time off work.
Jojo Smiley
airkam

On the 8th day with no internet connection:
The engineer came at 8.30am, had a quick look and then said he'd be back in an hour after checking the connection details in the exchange. 7 hours later and he hasn't returned. Called Plus.net requesting they chase the engineer. Was advised that they can't help. Called BT to see if they can track down the engineer and was told Plus net need to chase via Open Reach.
Have just received an invoice of £21 for this months internet connection after being told that we'd be refunded for the days without a connection. Not happy at all.
airkam

Spoke to Plus net again today and have been told the engineer does not know what the problem is (which is why i guess he didn't bother coming back!)  Undecided
Apparently the issue has been put to Plus net suppliers and they will respond within 24 hours....... It'll now be more than 10 days without an internet connection.
Joanne - can you please look into this and advise where we are and when is this likely to be fixed? Thanks.