cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DSL light fault resolution

gary396
Grafter

No DSL light fault resolution

Swapped to fibre a couple of weeks ago, all ok until last night when I lost internet connection - red light on router. Followed guidance and restarted router to no avail, no internet light of any color. Noticed DSL light on BT modem was off, again tried reset on that but no good. Rang fault line and after 30 min wait to be answered finally got through. Fault logged but was told it could be up to 2 days to be attended to! The question now says fault diagnosis for up to 24 hours. Anyone any ideas on how they normally address these sort of issues please - is it just a long wait for a BT engineer now? Thanks
only alternative access is my phone - not good!
23 REPLIES 23
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: No DSL light fault resolution

Your modem may have been synced with the cab or exchange and now has lost it.  This is a rare occurrence, but a simple call out should fix.  It can happen if the engineer doing another fibre install has knocked you out or has jumped your line back to ADSL. 
Try a different adsl/modem cable (RJ11) from master socket or data ext socket to modem, make sure it is firmly connected. 
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
gary396
Grafter

Thanks, tried changing cables but to no avail. Just a bit in the dark as to what if anything is happening to resolve it at the moment. All seems a bit vague, wait and see I suppose.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Would raise a fault with PN via http://faults.plus.net
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's not a fault. A couple of days back when you advised that you didn't need the engineer, one of our provisioning team talked to our suppliers and was informed that they'd make sure the order was completed and the engineer not sent.
Our suppliers then cancelled the order, instead of completing without the engineer as promised.
The guy who arranged that for you in our prov team is chasing that up with them now, but it'll mean placing a new order which we'll then have expedited for you - I hope we'll be able to get in touch with you tomorrow to arrange a new date (though again hopefully with no appointment needed). In the mean time if you plug your ADSL2+ router back in you'll at least have broadband available until this is all sorted out for you.
Really sorry about this, your ticket will be updated shortly and again later on once we know more about what'll be happening and when the expedite will be taking place.
gary396
Grafter

Matt now you've really got me confused! My contact with you a few days ago was to query why I had received a Plusnet email advising me of a new fibre installation scheduled for 14th Aug ie today. This appeared to be a cock up as upon receipt of that msg I advised PN that the installation had already taken place on 29th July! PN ack this and told me that the question couldn't be closed until today for some supplier reason.
Then out of the blue last night my internet stopped working so I reported as a fault. Are you now saying this is connected to the incorrect scheduling of 14th Aug. And is that the reason my internet isn't working?
I would point out that I haven't cancelled any engineer visit.
Yours, confused and now somewhat unimpressed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying - basically our suppliers have now put you back on ADSL2+, meaning we need to order Fibre for you again. There should be some info around this on your ticket, from our provisioning team?
gary396
Grafter

Thought that's what you were hinting at but wasn't made clear previously.
Tried plugging my old router back in - no joy, no DSL light. Bit puzzled in doing that anyway as the BT engineer told me it wouldn't work now that it was a fibre connection. And remember I'm just a customer not a techie so if there's a particular way of connecting the old router and into what some advice would be helpful.
Also just had email and text from PN asking for feedback on how my call has been dealt with. Where do I start?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Did you plug the RJ11 lead from the router into the fibre part of the phone socket? Or did you plug it into a microfilter and then the filter into the phone part of the socket?
Only the former will work, as the fibre faceplate is itself a filter. Please advise if that doesn't help though.
gary396
Grafter

Yes plugged the RJ11 directly in to the new fibre faceplate. That was connected by the Bt eng as an extension from the old by master socket into which is connected the house phone. Tried the latter with and without microfilter and even unplugged but to no avail. Just power and man lights on the router, the DSL and internet lights not illuminated. Any ideas pse?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Has the DSL light ever been lit?
Is it possible to connect directly to master socket bypassing extension?
gary396
Grafter

Yes the DSL light was lit on the fibre router until last night when the above mentioned cock up put paid to that. But haven't been able to get it lit on the old router since I reconnected it as Matt suggested. Tried bypassing the fibre extension as suggested but still not working.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

If you can.
Unscrew the lower portion of the master socket my removing the 2 screws, (ensure no cables disconnect) there will be a telephone socket when you remove it (this is a test socket)
Plug a phone in here is there a dial tone?
If yes, plug in a microfilter, then plug the ADSL router into here, is the internet coming up?
gary396
Grafter

Thanks I've had to do that with the master socket in the pre fibre days at PN request for tests and I'm confident in doing it BUT at the moment with this being a new installation and these new problems I don't want either PN or BT to have any reason that I've caused any additional problem, so I'll leave it alone for the moment.
Just frustrating to be told I'm now back on the old broadband supply so my old router can be plugged in, only to find still no DSL connection that way.
Appreciate the advice though.
gary396
Grafter

I'll add what I've just written on the question ticket that I'm quite amazed that having been caught in the middle of a PN / supplier cock up which has stopped my internet access, that they now have to follow a new order process albeit expedited (time will tell). Should just pull out their respective technical fingers and restore service. Deal with customer service rather than processes please.