cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DNS server connections and resetting router frequently

Gaz
Dabbler

No DNS server connections and resetting router frequently

I moved from BT in Jan 2013, repeated dns connection failures on both wired and wireless kit since, never hard to reset hub with BT. Spoke to technical help who diagnosed a faulty router (would not master reset either). New one received and still having problems.  it. Had 50 minute phone call again yesterday and guy I was taking to said sounds like you got a second dodgy router again but my team leader will not authorize the sending out another one, "can you borrow a neighbors or friends for a while?" I just find this request incredulous as I have paid for a service that is not patchy. I understand that technology goes down occasionally but not several times a week.There is now a "device" sitting beside the router to reset it when required.
On Friday evening the red internet light was on on the technicolor TG582n router but all devices connected, yesterday while on the phone light was green but no connection. The Plusnet guy said it was showing as connected at his end and also on my dashboard, can the staff not "dial" into the router and see what is going on? Whilst on the phone trying the Plusnet assist and various other things all devices suddenly connected. So the ticket gets marked as closed.
Any help would be appreciated, I do not have the fibreoptic connection.
18 REPLIES 18
AndyH
Grafter

Re: No DNS server connections and resetting router frequently

This is ADSL?
Are you having DNS problems now or has that been fixed?
Did someone reset the router before you had the red internet light? I think when it's red, it's detecting a broadband connection but run through the setup where you enter the username/password.
Gaz
Dabbler

Hi. Yes ASDL. Router had to be reset this morning again, Sunday, was ok at 2:00 am but not at 8:30 am, and all lights green. Just like before. The pen refill had to be used again. The router was not reset on the Friday until late in the evening when everyone had finished on the internet, red light disappeared and connections still available. Obviously I have a decision to make as to stay with Plusnet until my contract ends or just pay the termination fee and move back to BT and attempt to claim the money back. I only moved from BT as the Plusnet deal was cheaper in cash terms, but not in hassle. I just regard this as shoddy treatment by Plusnet in basically saying sort it out yourself and let us know how you get on, which is strange due to all the plaudits they get for "good customer service".
Gaz
Dabbler

Sorry. I forgot I was on holiday. Where it says Sunday I meant Tuesday (today).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Gaz
From reading the notes and what you've mentioned about the DNS issue I'm not convinced the router is at fault for that particular issue, what DNS servers are specified in your settings at the moment?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gaz
Dabbler

Hi Adam, I would tend to agree that getting two dodgy routers with the same problem would be remote, but the response from your helpline has not been as helpful as your company profile leads people to believe. I hope this is the information that you have asked for. Thanks for your response.
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9

Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.10

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What OS are you running there Gaz? If Windows, you could try specifying an alternate DNS server in TCP/IP properties and see how that works out, that would save trying to reconfigure the 582n which is a bit of a pig and if it was playing up anyway this would resolve it. Specify 192.168.1.254 as one of the DNS Servers (the 582n) and then an alternate DNS server - whatever you like. See whether you get any further issues.
I've seen a couple of threads on DNS issues now, something odd going on, I'm wondering if there could be a duff batch about.
As far as the Red Internet light goes, this is a known occasional issue with some Thomson modem/routers, there's never been any explanation or fix AFAIK, here's another recent thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113312.0.html
I would also be wary about resetting the modem/router by which I assume you mean you are rebooting it, because you'd be losing sync by doing that, and repeated events could be seen by the Exchange DLM as a dropping connection and this could result in a raised Target SNRM or a Banded speed.
Always try logging into the modem/router and try Disconnecting the Internet PPP session, wait 30 seconds and then click Connect to establish a new session to see if that resolves a problem.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It is perfectly feasible to use your old BT Home Hub with Plusnet if you want to.  You just need to tell it your Plusnet credentials.
Gaz
Dabbler

Thanks for your input guys, I will stop the resetting of the router and just disconnect\reconnect.  I am running a wired connection with Windows XP to the router and Blackberry, Apple and Android products wireless. When the connection goes nothing can access the internet.Am I right in thinking that the fault is a Plusnet problem from a router to server(s) problem and really nothing to do with the physical wiring between my house and the exchange? I spent a lot of time reading this forum last night and the general opinion re the supplied router is that it a poor choice. In hindsight I shold have reviewed in more depth about Plusnet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Gaz
.Am I right in thinking that the fault is a Plusnet problem from a router to server(s) problem and really nothing to do with the physical wiring between my house and the exchange?

No.  Plusnet's DNS servers occasionally fail but you don't have to rely on them.  If you have a DNS problem then you can still load a web site by specifying its IP address.  For example 73.125.132.94 is the current IP address of Google.  Put that in you browser address bar and it should load the Goolge web site without the need for a DNS look-up.  If you can get that to work when you cannot otherwise load web sites then you really do have a DNS problem but I doubt that you do.
There are reports of poor wireless range with the Plusnet-supplied router and the user interface isn't that great or that fast but I'm sure the majority of users experience no problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gaz - is your Windows XP machine getting it's network address automatically using DHCP from your router ?
If it is, then try setting the network address to a value outside your router's DHCP address range, and while you're changing the PC's network properties also set the primary DNS to 208.67.220.220, and the secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8.  Then reboot the Windows machine and I suspect it will be perfect !.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with the wiring in the house or to the exchange.
As suggested in my previous post, if you go to TCP/IP properties on your XP machine and specify an Alternate DNS, if the problem disappears with the XP computer, then there is a good chance it has something to do with the router or Plusnet DNS.
See attached, where I've set the Primary as the router and the Alternate as one of the Level 3 DNS servers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having read through this thread, and from having resolved this problem several times before with a variety of routers, I DON'T think this is a DNS issue as such, but I have seen many Windows XP machines effectively causing a DHCP lockout which only disappears (for a while) when the router is rebooted.  By setting a static IP address for the XP machine and therefore avoiding XP using DHCP, then the problem is usually solved.  I don't know why this happens but I have only seen it on Windows XP.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: purleigh
I have seen many Windows XP machines effectively causing a DHCP lockout which only disappears (for a while) when the router is rebooted.  By setting a static IP address for the XP machine and therefore avoiding XP using DHCP, then the problem is usually solved. 

That's funny.  I see a lot of computers and routers in peoples houses because that's my job.  I don't recall ever meeting the issue Purleigh describes.  Not to say that he is wrong, just strange that two people's experiences can differ so.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had wondered when I first posted here, whether I to precede my post with "I'm sure ReedRichards will say otherwise but...",
as we have argued this issue several times over the years, and have always agreed to disagree.  Wink
Just need Gaz to try it and find out !    Wink