cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DNS connectivity

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: No DNS connectivity

wow, I wasn't planning on ever using a Thompson router, but now it's made its way onto my never list.
gyre
Grafter

Thomson used to make really good routers.  The 510v4 was top of its class at the time.
It's all gone downhill since then.
-- gyre --
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
I've just checked, and we're also getting the same fail to DNS on our connectivity check. We're getting in touch with Thomson now to see if we can find out more information about this.
Jojo Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I do not appear to have any DNS resolution or connection speed issues on any of my computers (2 laptops, 1 netbook,1 desktop - these are running Windows 7 32 bit, Windows Vista, Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP, the netbook also works perfectly on Linux Mint) all connected to my Thomson TG585 v8 (8.2.7.8 firmware) BUT the XBox360 will not connect to XBox Live, running 'Test XBox LIVE connection' on the console reports 'TEST FAILED', More Information reports 'Your DNS server can't resolve the name of the XBox LIVE servers or XBox.com.  I have followed all the troubleshooting steps on the console but nothing appears to work.
The router gives the following DNS information:
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.10
The XBox is set to Automatic for all network settings and uses the Router's IP address as the DNS (192.168.1.254) with no secondary DNS set.
I cannot find any way to change the DNS settings in the router interface and I do not know how to change it via telnet.
I have tried setting speific DNS addresses in the XBox (the Google servers as well as the DynDNS adresses that my laptop lists using ipconfig /all).
I have not tried the XBox on ethernet as it is currently around 10m from the router and would require at least a 15m cable which I do not posess, it would be mighty odd if the wireless on the console had a DNS issue while the various PCs do not.
The router has the same failure as others on the connectivity test:
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you want to try changing the DNS settings on the TG585 router it has to be done via telnet and the method is described in the library article How to change the default DNS servers in a Thomson Speedtouch router.
This works on the v8 as well as the v7. Don't forget to enter saveall after making any changes.
David
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Also look here, someone with the same problem appears to have solved it purely by using a network cable rather than wireless.
w23
Pro

I managed to follow the telnet instructions so I now have an Open DNS server as the primary DNS and one of the PlusNet ones as the secondary, the router now passes the connectivity test though it still shows a red cross next to 'Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.159.6.9)' so there's some kind of issue between this router and the PlusNet DNS server (even though I have never seen a failure to resolve a web site while the router was using only the PlusNet DNS).
On the other hand, the XBox still cannot connect to XBox LIVE (Still saying  'Your DNS server can't resolve the name of the XBox LIVE servers...' , I guess I will have to move it near to the router and rig it up to a small TV at some time just to see if it works on Ethernet).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Do not use OpenDNS for your primary and Plusnet for your secondry, it will almost certainly lead you to trouble.
If you want to use OpenDNS set your primary and secondary to the ones documented by OpenDNS
if you don't want to use OpenDNS you can also use Google DNS.
OpenDNS has many value add services that don't mix well with vanilla DNS
w23
Pro

Change both DNS to DynDNS's servers (I have a free account) and the router now passes all its connectivity tests AND the XBox now connects to XBox LIVE.  I also changed the wireless setting to 'g' only - I don't think that would make the difference and I can;t change back at the moment as my son is mid-game.
Call me 'w23'