Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Connection This Morning

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No Connection This Morning

My line is pretty stable (lately) usually up for several days at a time at least. When it does drop it seems to take a few goes to get a connection, I don't know why, but that doesn't seem to be a problem..
This morning there was no connection at all. Watching the router lights it went through the usual motions up to making a DSL connection and that was it. Even that never lasted a minute and the cycle just restarted again.
Tried a different router with more or less the same results.
Just tried connecting again and as you can see I am now online (for 21 minutes so far) so I hope it was just some exchange blip.
Noticed one change and that is no FEC errors anymore, so for some reason that looks like it is now turned off. Don't know what effect that will have now as it did stabilise the line. Guess it's fingers crossed time to see what happens over the next few days.
11 REPLIES 11
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: No Connection This Morning

Hi billnotben,
Here are the last 7 days connections logs we have for you:

The connection looks fine since the router reboot so perhaps just a temporary router issue.  Let us know if this continues or gets worse.
billnotben
Community Veteran

I hope it was just some local issue.
Couldn't have been the router as I tried a different one which showed the same problem.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Not much good. Stayed up for around four hours then back to the connect/disconnect cycle.
Just managed to connect now at the usual speed but now page loading is stuttery. I doubt it will stay connected for long.
To repeat connected to first socket as usual. Tried a different router no difference. Tried different phone lead and filter no difference.
Would someone look into this please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now a setup page has appeared. https://www.plus.net/apps/getstarted
Page loading back to normal once I went past this page.
Is this normal?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just this minute received a broadband connectivity email about problems in the South of England. I assume I was part of that.
"At approximately 20.30 this evening, we became aware"      Try this morning.
Of course not much use as you can't read about it if you can't connect. Maybe Alex could have mentioned something when I was briefly online in the afternoon?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That doesn't explain why FEC has been turned off for me. Not a good thing on my error prone connection.
lexusuk
Grafter

Your connection is constantly disconnecting again.

If the issue continues with the alternative router you should raise a fault for investigation at http://faults.plus.net/
billnotben
Community Veteran

Yes it's repeating today much the same as yesterday. Up 45 minutes at the moment. If yesterday is anything to go by this will last a few hours then go off again until after 12.
I've had a chat on the phone with the faults dep and they said leave the router on even though most of the time it is just only connecting for less than a minute. They said this was a necessary part of tracking the fault.
Can't think of anything here that could be causing the problem. Like I said I have tried changing everything with no effect.
Some demolition work going on on the route that the cable may be taking to the exchange so who knows.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Seems to be connecting better now but still dropping and unreliable.
Racking up ridiculous error counts. Must be something wrong with the line even though you can't hear any noise on the phone.
Uptime: 0 days, 2:40:37
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 7,271
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 42.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4,981 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 14,560,270
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 6,476
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,371

The error seconds appear to add up with disconnections while other errors zero at each disconnection. The up fec/crc errors are just false ones that appear sometimes and stay the same. But as you can see that's a lot of errors for a couple of hours. This line has always seen a far few errors but until recently that error count would have been 3-4 days worth.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Billnotben,
I can see you've raised a fault, we'll get onto that and get the line tested for you. Hopefully we'll find out if it's the router (unlikely as you say), the work on the line or a fault somewhere else.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Apparently "your connection is now stable and running at expected speeds".
Its already dropped at least twice this morning with the snr margin already rising as well.
Still I'll try the new router being sent to see if will have any effect on this already "stable" line.
Raising the snr is a bit of a blunt instrument as far as I see it. My snr was dropped to 3 a few months back (because the line was so stable (that word again), I was sceptical at first but the router had been "really" stable for several weeks at this before the line went goofy.
Now the snr has been raised to 6, not a problem but the point I want to make is that this will have no effect on the disconnects and the last time when it disconnected it was on 9. Hopefully the disconnects will stop before the dopey DLM raises the snr any more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On top of all the disconnections I'm now getting numerous internet connection time outs.
If this is a stable line I sure wouldn't like an unstable one.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just passed this on to a member of our faults team who'll test the line and update you very shortly. Really sorry for the delay.
billnotben
Community Veteran

The line seems to have obtained some modicum of stability now as the adsl connection has been up for over a day. Albeit at a slower speed than usual.
I still wonder what caused this problem. My moneys still on the demolition work, now finished, which is on a direct line, as the crow flies, to my exchange. I noticed a few new telephone poles on the edge of the site. Maybe they knocked the old ones over.
Anyone know whether work like this could cause broadband problems?
billnotben
Community Veteran

I asked for FEC to be turned on and it was. Line was up over five days which of course, I assume, means the DLM thinks it's once again a marvelous stable line so it turns off FEC.
In less than a day the line has dropped twice. Could someone please throw a switch and turn on FEC again.