Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Broadband 2days

MMoor1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

No Broadband 2days

I've had no broadband for 2 days, tried the master socket thing etc. Nothing, phoneline is working. Tried tweeting plusnet got no reply. Username [Removed] Please get the service I pay for working again! Getting fed up with Plusnet to be honest, may find a different provider, so much for your award winning service!

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: No Broadband 2days

Good morning, @MMoor1 First question, so I don't offer incorrect advice - are you on ADSL or FTTC?

Hopefully, now you have posted on the forums, one of the Help Team will pick this up - they have the ability to interrogate the system to determine the problem.

As an aside, if this problem is in the BT network, it would follow you to a new ISP - unless you switched to Virgin or you had a totally independent Fibre provider in your local area.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @MMoor1 

I've done an escalation on this request (I hope your health has improved since your last post).

You say the telephone is working, but is the line quiet?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Which router are you using?  What lights / colours / status are showing?

Have you followed the broadband trouble shooter - see the link below.

The most pragmatic approach would be to raise a broadband fault report if the phone line is quiet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MMoor1
Dabbler

There is a dial tone, then when I did the silent line test and it was indeed silent. The router is showing an orange light and a red b. What else can I do? I need my broadband for work.
MMoor1
Dabbler

ADSL the phone line is working fine, did the silent line test which was fine. Router is showing an orange light and a red b.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

OK @MMoor1 . I'll let @Townman follow this then - no point two of us trying.

John
MMoor1
Dabbler

The line is not quiet. Plusnet hub1 is the router and thank you the health is getting better. Thank you for escalating it for me. I appreciate it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You advise the line is quiet … then is not quiet.

This suggests an intermittent wet joint. Doing QLT repeatedly can temporarily fix such issues. Try ringing the land line and see if the router establishes sync (b light not red).

Run the phone fault diagnostics.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MMoor1
Dabbler

The line is not quiet at all. Tried what you suggested but this did nothing. The phone line works perfectly. Just no broadband. Orange light and red b remain permanently.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @MMoor1, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble when trying to get online recently. I can confirm when checking your connection from this side I can see the details the router look to be authenticating the connection with don't look to be matching those on your account which would explain the lights you're seeing. (This most commonly caused after a recent password cahnge on the account when the connection next drops and the router doesn't update automatically.)

I can see the router information looks to be in place our side so I'm not sure why the new details weren't pushed through to the router. To trigger this you could factory reset the router although if you've made changes to things like your wireless settings then to avoid this I'd recommend going through the manual authentication steps below.

Factory reset:
This can be done by pressing a pin, cocktail stick etc.. into the "reset hole on the back of the router for 5-15 seconds. You should see the router reboot and then within a few minutes hopefully this may have resolved the issue you're seeing.

How to log into the router and manually update the authentication details:
1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Broadband.'

4) You will see some default options, if not, please press 'Disconnect' on the right and this will allow you to change the Username and Password.

5) For your username, this should be your account username and should be in the following format: username@plusdsl.net
Your password is your account password

6) Press 'Connect' and you should be online.

Let us know how it goes and I'm confident one of these above 2 steps should help in getting the connection back to normal for you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@BD

Hi Ben,

The user reports that the line is noisy - does a CLT report a clean bill of health? Could a high error rate inhibit auto update … which would need to occur before establishing a PPP session?

MMoor1
Dabbler

That's great, sorted it,thank you for your help