cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BT Master Socket

nadger
Rising Star

No BT Master Socket

In over five years of broadband I've always worked on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it principle"
Thought I'd finally look at the master socket in the hall and, as such, there isn't one.
There's a GPO (not BT) cover plate with wire's coming out to extensions. On removing that there's a tapped up connector and that's about it.
Been there since we bought house in 1984 so probably original fitting from house being built in 1975.
I imagine that BT would still want to charge me to update it unless I develop a line fault.
Any bright thoughts please.
7 REPLIES 7
God
Grafter

Re: No BT Master Socket

I had a similar situation at my last house. As things weren't 'broke', like you I didnt want to pay to have one fitted. In the end I just tried my router from every extension socket and used the one giving the best numbers. But to tell the truth there was very little in them.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: God
I had a similar situation at my last house. As things weren't 'broke', like you I didnt want to pay to have one fitted. In the end I just tried my router from every extension socket and used the one giving the best numbers. But to tell the truth there was very little in them.

I've put wireless router downstairs on extension in kitchen/diner as that seems best option.
Now I need BT line to develop a fault  Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Now I need BT line to develop a fault  Wink

It's funny.  The incident rate of faults after a BT customer says those very words is very high.  Must be the Universal Karma working overtime or something Wink
Barry
itsme
Grafter

Thought I'd finally look at the master socket in the hall and, as such, there isn't one.

If you have telephone sockets in the house which you can plug currently available phones in then you do have master and secondry sockets. What you do not have is the 2 part master socket which allow you to install you own extensions. Believe these come in circa 1986. Before the early 1980's the phones use to be hardwired into small connection boxes consisting of 4 terminals with links.
The master socket will have spark quencher, capacitor and couple of resistors fitted to the pcb attached to the frontplate. These components will be missing on the secondary sockets.
God
Grafter

Mine just had a load of internal connections and lumps of plaster 😉
nadger
Rising Star

Certainly looks as if connections to the incoming junction box were done professionally - wiring to extensions is too neat and tidy and actual extension sockets have T in a circle symbol.
We are a reasonable distance from Leighton Buzzard exchange and IP profile is 4000Kbps with speeds around 3800/380Kbps so no real problems. Was on 2Mb fixed whilst with Pipex.
One area that I'm not used to seeing is massive FEC count - currently 179,225,000 in just under 2 days - my thoughts of connecting wireless router to master socket will be put on hold Sad
Thanks for all the comments  Smiley
metman
Dabbler

Certainly looks as if connections to the incoming junction box were done professionally - wiring to extensions is too neat and tidy and actual extension sockets have T in a circle symbol.

The circle T is the old trade mark and at that era I would expect a professional job!
Look carefully for a discharge device across the incoming pair. If you cannot find one it is worth phoning BT faults, ask for senior assistance, plead your case that you do not have surge protection, and they may fit you a Linebox (NTE5) for free.
In the old days when the only thing at the customer end was a dirty great sit up and beg phone, the surge protection was in the phone and the phone did not belong to you. Later if you were serviced by an overhead line you may find a surge device in the internal box but not guaranteed.