Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice people but not a lot of help

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Nice people but not a lot of help

I raised a fault on 25 August and have been troubled with slow speeds ,phone line dead for a short while, which now seems O.K Still my internet is no good ,I am on a long line and have changed my router . I have reported all this and had various responses Seems rather like a slow puncture I had to reboot this morning to get this.
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.47 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.38 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
47 REPLIES 47
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Nice people but not a lot of help

Is there an update on the ticket (see link below) indicating what is happening?  Posting the ticket number here will help CRT staff.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

[mremoved]- CSC Analyst
1:03pm, Thursday 17 Sep 2015
Dear Mr Parsons,
Thank you for getting in touch.
I have reviewed you fault and I am please to say that your phone line is now testing clear and your line is stable.
I have adjusted the speed settings on our system so you should see your speed improve.
I have also noticed that a connection upgrade is available to you.
Currently you are connecting on the ADSL 1 network, I have placed an order to move you across to the ADSL2+ network.
This should complete in 7 days time.
You should hopefully see a slight improvement in your line speeds once the transfer completes.
Please note it can take a further 72 hours or so for the changes to reflect on the system once the order completes.
There is no extra charge for being on the ADSL2+ network this is simply a change on the exchange end that should improve the connection slightly.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
If you are happy the fault has been resolved, there is no need to reply as the ticket will close automatically after 14 days. This reduces our ticket volumes and lowers our overall response time.
dick:csa
stathe
Rising Star

Question #109779678 -
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm 21CN might be a little better, but not much on your line.  Better profile management will be a blessing though.
Can you please post the current router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 6:17:16
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1.376
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 20,91 / 177,58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 16,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 63,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,0 / 4,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 43 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 162 / 94.560
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 21 / 301
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -1 / 301 / 603
Thank You Before this latest hiccup  I had a BT router and the download was around 1600 with a speed just over 1
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

ALCB, that must be really old exchange equipment. I got a little extra speed with no other change in stats, when I was moved off ALCB exchange equipment, which happened more than 5 years ago.
"No extra charge for being on the ADSL2+ network" - you would expect so since it'll probably be cheaper for Plusnet to have you on the ADSL2+ network (a.k.a. 21CN or WBC).
stathe
Rising Star

Thank you for your coments, but I am not very knowledgeable about this I just want to be able to  use i player and skype so need more than I have now.
stathe
Rising Star

n THIS MORNING
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:54:47
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1.056
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 55,96 / 559,83
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 15,6
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 63,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,0 / 11,2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 1.577
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 188
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 188 / 288
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

These stats are all over the place.  DS SNRM is very variable, which is indicative of noise on the line, either audible or electrical.  Is the line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.  Do this at regular intervals - intermittent noise is a right royal pain, but if it is there it needs sorting.
Quote from: stathe
...have been troubled with slow speeds ,phone line dead for a short while, which now seems O.K Still my internet is no good ,I am on a long line and have changed my router

Has the line been looked at by an engineer?  Did it go from dead to working by engineering intervention or did it just start working again?  If there has been no engineer involvement there might still be an iffy joint somewhere.

@CRT - Is CLT showing any marginality on this line please?

stathe
Rising Star

Thge line was noisy then dead I reported to Plusnet and it came good soon after so presumed they had  had it fixed it seems quiet now  . I presumed as a result of engineer involvement but no one told me so but all is not well
stathe
Rising Star

Today I have a message to say it will be reviewed on Thursday nothing about  the engineer, bot it may mean I am to be regraded to ADSL 2  I presume,  whatever that is, But feel something must be wrong I have tried the socket behind the BT plug and no better really not acceptable
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.49 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.49 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.06 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Why you not listen  Wink
You have been told it will take 7 days, it has only been 4. Patience is needed!  Undecided
It is no use trying to fix anything until Plusnet completes its changes to your connection, everything may come right then.
If you are doing it ? STOP rebooting the router that will not help your connection either!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Looking at stathe's older posts, previously they were using a BT Business Hub (2-wire 2700HGV). Those have a very good reputation for performing well on long lines. It also reported a downstream attenuation of about 69 dB, which may give a more realistic estimate of expected speeds.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: stathe
Thge line was noisy then dead I reported to Plusnet and it came good soon after so presumed they had   had it fixed it seems quiet now  . I presumed as a result of engineer involvement but no one told me so but all is not well

Quote from: Stumpy21
Why you not listen  Wink
You have been told it will take 7 days, it has only been 4. Patience is needed!  Undecided

@Stumpy,
I am sure that your intent was well meant, however changing the service to 21CN is not going to fix this issue - it is a nice to have re-grade, but is not a fix for a noisy line.
Noisy / dead lines point to a marginal joint on the line somewhere and that needs TLC from a BTOR engineer.  The higher current / voltage sent down the lines from ringing signal / line tests can 'fix' a bad joint for a while.  Such issues are rarely resolved without an engineer visit to the home.
If anything the upgrade to 21CN is a bit of a obstacle here, as until that completes a fault report cannot be raised on the phone line.  That is quite likely why this issue has been put on hold until Thursday.