cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newsgroup issue

Rik

Newsgroup issue

Hi all
I'm new to plus.net and just got my service activated this week. On all normal web usage my connection is fine and I get a download speed of about 5-6mb/sec which is about right for my area. The upload speed isn't amazing at only around 0.2mb/sec but the big issue I am getting is newsgroups seem to be unusable at all times day and night. The best speed I've seen on a download from giganews is 30kbs!! Bit it is usually around half that!   That is unusable! I did a normal speedtest using www.speedtest.net then one using my news provider (Giganews).  You can see the results below.
Speedtest.net result:

Giganews test result:

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I have never had this problem with any of my previous providers (Virgin Media, Sky, O2) so if this is going to be an ongoing thing with plusnet I'll be very happy I didn't commit to a 12 month contract as I'll be moving by the end of the week.
17 REPLIES 17
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Newsgroup issue

Have you checked the expected speeds for your product?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matt_2k34
Grafter

Select your package on the above link, dependant on the time of day which you use your connection, there may be rate limits applied (which is why your seeing 'slowness' when using newsgroups)
By giving throttles to certain protocols - plusnet ensures that your browsing / voip / gaming is always seemless over their network.
The speed is perfectly fine for using newsgroups 'normally' however you may become irritated with the slow speed if you are downloading from Binary newsgroups.

Solution is: Set your downloads to come down overnight. (during your free peak period)
However on "Value" this may also be rate limited (to stop value users taking the "michael" in terms of downloads)
Rik

I am on "extra" so should be getting 128kb/sec at peak times. I could cope with that, but I am not willing to accept 15kb/sec. That is just shocking.
matt_2k34
Grafter

your confusing KB and kb.
128kb = kilobit = (128 / 8 ) = ~16 KB/s expected speed.
Shocking? not really, newsgroups are for text files.
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi Rik,
I'm not on Extra, so can't give a direct comparison for you - I'm actually on BB Premier Option 1, so I should be running with no restrictions at this time of day (13:45).
I just ran the same two tests that you did, and got these results:
  - Speedtest: 6.5 Mbps down, 0.35 Mbps up.
  - Giganews: 5100 kbps to the main site, and 5700 kbps to the european site.
So decent speeds *are* possible.
I'll try to do another test later during peak hours for you to get a better comparison.
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
matt_2k34
Grafter

WWWombat, your product is much older, and as such has much less restrictions on it. (Your peak time is also different, as its 4pm-midnight)
I'm not saying line speed isnt possible, im saying on Extra, during the peak hours (8am-midnight) you will get 15KB/s speeds-  this is the package operating under its normal conditions.
Regards
WWWombat
Grafter

Matt_2k34 - Ah yes indeed, we have fewer restrictions (and I said so in my post), and a shorter peak period - which is why we've been loath to "upgrade" to Extra so far... but now our peak-period usage is hitting that 13GB level where we start to get really throttled, and it isn't nice. I know we'll probably have to go to a modern package when ADLS2+ or FTTC arrives here.
I disagree about your summary of the Extra package though... By Jelv's link, text-based news doesn't appear to be restricted, while even binary-based news is only throttled down to 15KBps between 6PM and 10PM. Between 10PM and Noon the limit is 128KBps or more (1Mbps or more).
But... Rik reported that he saw the slow speed at all times of day or night, and not just at peak periods. It is probably useful for him to know that the speed he is seeing isn't broadly applied to every customer at all times.
Rik - Sorry, but my restrictions on News only last between 18:00 and 22:00, and I didn't manage to re-test within that period. A test I just did was showing over 6000kbps to both servers.
Plusnet Customer
matt_2k34
Grafter

pns management system doesnt discriminate against binary or text DOWNLOADS.
It discriminates from binary and text SERVICES.
E.g. if you pull just text from a company who provide both binary and just text services. ull be restricted.
BBO1 is a brilliant package imo. just a shame 13gb is sooo low. Sad
Im sure someone from PN will correct me if im wrong, but as far as the management is concerned - AFAIK - it just cant tell.
so 15-16KB/s would be expected speed. i cant see where Rik said hes seen this all round the clock? but im getting tired Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

A quote from Rik's 1st post: "but the big issue I am getting is newsgroups seem to be unusable at all times day and night. The best speed I've seen on a download from giganews is 30kbs!! Bit it is usually around half that!".
I'm confused when you say (and highlight) "doesnt discriminate against binary or text DOWNLOADS. It discriminates from binary and text SERVICES."
Are you saying that Rik, when accessing text-based Usenet services, should expect to have traffic-managment classify the traffic as one of the "Download" services, rather than the "Usenet Binary" one?
Anyway, no matter how the traffic gets classified, the 15KBps is still too low a figure to expect for the WHOLE of the peak period on Extra. At 10AM, for example, the only things being limited are at either 8Mbps or 3Mbps (1 MBps or 400KBps).
Ah... and I've just checked my own "view my broadband usage" figures. It seems that PN did detect & classify some of my usage today (between 1 and 2 PM, and again between 10 and Midnight) as Usenet. This is the only time this has shown up in my recent stats - and the *only* thing I did in those times is to run the Giganews speed tester. I can't tell whether they detected it as text or binary, but they certainly managed to distinguish it from other download services.
Plusnet Customer
matt_2k34
Grafter

exactly, Day and NIGHT. offpeak starts the next MORNING Smiley
Times would be important Rik.
WWWomble, what i mean is, giganews - for example is a company who provides text AND binary services (So you can download all kinda stuff off it)
Gradwell, offer a text-only service. so PN could say OK, use as much usenet traffic to exampleusenet.gradwell.com - knowing your only posting txt files (which wont impact other users on the network)
Giganews, offers binary downloads, so pn would restrict their Service (all) as BINARY usenet - so any rate limits will apply to the service (eg. any connection to them) rather than on what your actually doing.
This is how I Understand the system to be working (Based on the wording of the plusnet articles) - as stated before, i may be wrong - and ill be slapped back into line if thats the case... but i dont think i am

Rik - can you start a download after midnight (preferrably after 1am, because everyone starts their downloads at 12, and the network takes abit of a thump) and let us know if the speed is "line speed"
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's basically correct. By default all news providers are considered binary and the rate limits and traffic priorities are set accordingly and these apply whether you are accessing text or binary groups. There is a list of text only providers and these are given higher speeds and priorities.
If you are accessing a text only server and getting low speeds you can raise a request for it to be added to the list of text only providers. Plusnet will check it out and if it is text only it will be added to the list.
WWWombat
Grafter

Gotcha...
So, as Giganews apparently has a text-only server at "text.giganews.com", it is possible that NNTP to that server could (when configured by PlusNet) run at full "browsing speed". Is that always line speed, or does that follow the "Other" column in the tables (which I see is limited to 256Kbps in the 6-10 evening peak).
Plusnet Customer
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've double checked this (thanks Chris) and it comes in with Browsing and Email
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
Rik - Sorry, but my restrictions on News only last between 18:00 and 22:00, and I didn't manage to re-test within that period. A test I just did was showing over 6000kbps to both servers.

Rik,
I did some more tests (using that speed-checker on Giganews' website) to see what effect the time restrictions had. My package ought to be restricted to 228kbps between 6PM and 10PM:
15:50 - 2 tests at 6500 kbps.
17:05 - 2 tests at 5800 and 4200 kbps.
18:12 - 2 tests at 5300 and 4300 kbps.
19:12 - 2 tests at 205 and 250 kbps. Didn't wait for them to complete...
20:42 - 2 tests at 220 kbps. Didn't wait for them to complete...
Plusnet Customer