Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly Installed Fibre

nimdy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Newly Installed Fibre

Hi All. The BTOR engineer visited me this morning. Everything is set up, but I am questioning the speed I am getting. When I do a speed test wirelesly on my laptop I get 35 meg. When I do it wired to the router though I get around 20 meg. I thought this was very strange to get a slower speed when connected over cat5 than it was over wigi. Neither of these figures seems right as it was suggested to me by openreach and plusnet that my speeds would be closer to 70 meg. I have done the BT wholesale speedtest and have attached the findings below.
Is this the kinds of speed I am to expect for the learning period, or has something gone wrong in my setup?
edit:
Just to add, the engineer did turn off the openreach modem at one point during the visit. Could this be the cause of the lower speed than expected?
5 REPLIES 5
adagio
Grafter

Re: Newly Installed Fibre

nimdy
Rising Star

Phone exchange:
   SHEFFORD
Estimated line speed:
   61Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-05-02 16:14:37
Current line speed:
   37 Mb
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Current line speed:
    37 Mb
That's not right AFAIK that's the default PlusNet profile for a 40/10 provision. You're definitely on 80/20 since your BT profile is 72Mb and the upstream is 20Mb. You could either give the CSC a call and explain that your PlusNet profile is wrong or wait until tomorrow and I'm sure one of the DC team ( they only work 9-5 ) will spot this thread and correct it.
As to why the wired test is slower than the wireless, that's odd!. I think I recall another similar occurrence a while ago but can't seem to find the thread. Assuming it's a consistent problem, you could eliminate the router as the cause by trying a test with a direct pppoe connection from a PC as described here http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... or here http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ . Leave the BT modem connected throughout any tests though, just disconnect the pppoe session on the router , disconeect it and connect up the PC directly. Then revers to connect the router back up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nimdy
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply. I had hoped that you would say something like this. I'll get on to CS and see what they say. I'll look at the wired connection tomorrow. The other half has just got in and is impressed with the speed already. I'm telling her it should be even better tomorrow!  Grin
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, looks like the profile has been adjusted now on our side and you should be seeing somewhat in excess of 70Mb/s - hope that's the case?
Glad you're happy with it Smiley