cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newgroups down ?

BorgWales
Grafter

Newgroups down ?

Nothing seems to be getting posted now, been a hour and none of my posts are showing ?
14 REPLIES 14
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Newgroups down ?

I made a post last night to p.test when I saw this and half an hour later it was still to appear. Having woke up this morning, I've just gone to check and it's there. I've also just made another post which turned up almost instantaneously.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BorgWales
Grafter

Seems mine are taking about 4 hours to show now. Not to good really Sad
pittdj
Grafter

Yes, usenet is a bit lugubrious, I now have a ticket and a post to plusnet.service.customer-feedback both in limbo. Oh dear.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Three posts to p.test all just arrived immediately for me Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mapletree
Grafter

There does seem to be a problem.  Some of my posts from today have not appeared at all.  Cry
MrC
Grafter

Must admit I've seen quite a large number of missing posts in a number of groups over the last few days.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just contacted Giganews about this as messages are definitely missing (you can see the gaps in the article numbering). They've assigned the problem to an engineer and are going to get back to me later on today (ref: 63475). I'll post something to Service Status in the meantime...
Edit: Service Status published here. Giganews have since come back to me as follows:
[quote author="Giganews Reseller Support"]We are seeing a delay in posting related to a hardware complication. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible.
At this time we are still seeing a number of articles being delayed due to a backlog that accumulated due to this issue.
The delays are only temporary and we will update you as soon as we have a better idea when this issue will be completely resolved.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like Newshosting, Giganews and Astraweb are all having problems if this Newzbin news article is anything to go by.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Bob, That link is useless to people without Newzbin accounts!
Newzbin is a member-only site (see signup page). You need an account to proceed.

Can you quote it please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry, didn't realise that Jelv. The article reads as follows:
[quote author="Newzbin"]Currently, Newshosting is having serious issues with incomplete and missing files. Giganews and Astraweb are running as per normal with little to no issues. How does this affect you? If your NSP service is Newshosting this means that it will be chancy whether you will get a proper download. It also affects Newzbin as Newshosting is the service we use to grab our raw feed. Newzbin has no control over the level of service you receive from your NSP and any issues with incompletes or repeated missing files is best taken up with their support rather than with us.
Update - Newshosting has been taken out of our provider list. We currently use multiple feeds from different USPs. This problem has been reported by users of Giganews and Astraweb as well. A response from Giganews states that the articles themselves have made it to all the sites, but that the headers have not or only partially. This is why when looking at the raw feed there are shown so many incompletes. Our technical engineers are also looking into reports that nzbs for our site are not working but nzbs from some others for the same articles do work (which would run contrary to the way NZBs work).
Update - we're refetching all headers for the last three days from the US Astraweb server, which has reportedly had no problems. Hopefully this should fill in the gaps we've got from EU servers. It will take a little while to catch up, especially for very active groups, but nothing will be deleted in the meantime - it should just fill in missing headers.
There are 53 comments on the article that make interesting reading too but I'm not going to quote those here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

WebDude
Grafter

Thanks for the info.  Good to see there's some tech staff knowledgeable about USENET still (cos I doubt many ISPs would have staff who know who Astraweb, APN, etc are!).
I've a cheap (2 quid a month) GigaNews a/c and some 170GB 'credit' on Astraweb right now...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Latest update from Giganews:
[quote author="Giganews Reseller Support"]At this time the issue related to missing articles has been resolved.
The hard ware problem was addressed and the backlog has cleared.
I did confirm the missing articles you referenced have been posted.
We are working to resolve the root of the problem so in the future our customers will not be affected by the series of events that caused this issue.
I can still see missing articles and the articles I referenced in my original email have *not* appeared from what I can tell.
I'm replying to them as we speak and will update Service Status shortly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Latest update from Giganews:
[quote author="Giganews Reseller Support"]We're investigating the messages you send us.  Yes, all articles should be present now that the backlog is cleared.  Some of those articles we have confirmed are available, so we'll track down why you're not seeing them.  For the others that we have confirmed are not present, we're verifying whether or not the articles were filtered for binary content (they were posted to text groups).
Regardless, all of the articles are available.  Even though they may not show up in the list of headers, we still have them available for download, and we are already in the process of a verification run through our articles to make sure that everything that should be in the headers is there.
I'll leave the ticket open until you're satisfied that your customers' expectations are met.  I'll give you another update within 24 hours.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Should be sorted now, although depending on your client you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe to the groups with the missing articles to get around any local caching.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team