Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New vdsl Modem

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: New vdsl Modem

Quote from: Strat
That seems to be an issue with TP-Link routers, they don't satisfy the stats addict needs.

Any idea which VDSL Router willing to show full stats addict needs?
BT Home Hub 5 - no they don't but don't like BT Badge on it (worse modem I ever come to this)
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: goldenfibre

Any idea which VDSL Router willing to show full stats addict needs?
BT Home Hub 5 - no they don't but don't like BT Badge on it (worse modem I ever come to this)

..  and THAT is just one of the reasons why I love my ZyXEL VMG8324-10A.  Plus it gives just about anyone thats using it a nice hefty rise either on the sync or max headline.  For me its circa 7.5Mb more than the TPLink..  there are some that have got more.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Any screenshot for that modem Kitz?
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I feel that Im duplicating posts that Ive made else where, so apologies to those that read both the Plusnet forums and mine.  Sad
But this morning I discovered a way to get into the CLI.  The stats are still very basic, but do give a little bit more info than the GUI
... and thanks to a suggestion from ejs,  Ive also been able to grab some info about errors that dont show in either the CLI or GUI.
ATUCCRCErrors=70
CRCErrors=619
ATUCFECErrors=1305
FECErrors=12809
severelyErroredSecs=0

My error rate runs much higher on the TPlink than it does on the Huawei modem or Zyxel.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Any screenshot for that modem Kitz?

Yep..  tons of info about it on my site  Tongue
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

VMG8324-B10A is nothing on the shopping list via google?
Updated: I going back to Openreach modem and hook up with TP Link on WAN port because wifi are better on TP Link, I do believed that BT Openreach Modem is the best for stable FTTC with less errors. And full stats information too.
westbusker
Grafter

Hi Goldenfibre,
Would you now not recommend this router if you are having these errors ?
Would I notice a real world performance drop with these errors ?
Shame because I just wanted a single box solution with 4 gigabit ports & costs less than £80.
Am I best looking at the BT modem & maybe a TL-WDR3600.
Cheers.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Hi westbusker
I had now manage to see all stats thanks to ejs using tp-link stats grabber.
Stat:
2014.09.14 14:05:31 xDSL Stats:
[1,0,0,0,0,0]0
status=Up
modulationType=VDSL2
X_TPLINK_CurrSupportLinkType=2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=
currentProfile=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=19999
downstreamCurrRate=79995
upstreamMaxRate=33727
downstreamMaxRate=98293
upstreamNoiseMargin=149
downstreamNoiseMargin=114
upstreamAttenuation=127
downstreamAttenuation=113
upstreamPower=124
downstreamPower=2
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=184421
showtimeStart=340
quarterHourStart=0
X_TPLINK_Bitswap=On
X_TPLINK_SRA=On
X_TPLINK_AdslModulationCfg=VDSL2
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A
X_TPLINK_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A,B,A/B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L/M;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A/B/L/M
X_TPLINK_PtmMainIfName=ptm0
[2,0,0,0,0,0]1
receiveBlocks=0
transmitBlocks=0
cellDelin=0
linkRetrain=0
initErrors=0
initTimeouts=0
lossOfFraming=0
erroredSecs=0
X_TPLINK_US_ErroredSecs=0
severelyErroredSecs=0
X_TPLINK_US_SeverelyErroredSecs=0
FECErrors=2970
ATUCFECErrors=540
HECErrors=0
ATUCHECErrors=0
CRCErrors=161
ATUCCRCErrors=44
[3,0,0,0,0,0]1
receiveBlocks=0
transmitBlocks=0
cellDelin=0
linkRetrain=0
initErrors=0
initTimeouts=0
lossOfFraming=0
erroredSecs=0
X_TPLINK_US_ErroredSecs=0
severelyErroredSecs=0
X_TPLINK_US_SeverelyErroredSecs=0
FECErrors=2970
ATUCFECErrors=540
HECErrors=0
ATUCHECErrors=0
CRCErrors=161
ATUCCRCErrors=44
[error]0
Today:
FECErrors=2970
ATUCFECErrors=540
HECErrors=0
ATUCHECErrors=0
CRCErrors=161
ATUCCRCErrors=44
Yesterday:
FECErrors=2305
ATUCFECErrors=296
HECErrors=0
ATUCHECErrors=0
CRCErrors=123
ATUCCRCErrors=25
seem not bad at all but in my experience that BTOpenreach Modem HG612 is less errors in 38 days below: I think BTOpenreach Modem is the best and more max rate with less errors. Don't want to get hit by DLM on TP-Link if it continue counting more errors.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I was surprise that plusnet told me on the phone that GEA Test details result will not work on the new VDSL2 router. It only will work with bt openreach modem. That's strange.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I recall seeing some FTTC test results where it says part of the test didn't run because there was user equipment (i.e. a router) connected to the modem. I suppose the details test might not run while you have an active PPP session and Internet connection. Also, I think the ECI openreach modems use the same lantiq chip as this TP-Link.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I revert back to openreach modem and stick with it. Going to sent TP Link back to broadbandbuyer under 14 days DSR. The openreach modem had more max rate, more snr, less errors than the TP Link.
avatastic
Grafter

I was surprise that plusnet told me on the phone that GEA Test details result will not work on the new VDSL2 router. It only will work with bt openreach modem. That's strange.

I suspect those are the tests may run on the VLAN 303.1, which is not required for the OpenReach modem to operate normally, but is probably used for the VDSL2 modem in the DSLAM to talk to the Openreach modems for stats gathering.
Well, that's my guess at least.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
westbusker
Grafter

Hi Guys,
So you lot have convinced me to go to a 2 box solution  Sad
Find the whole thing bizarre that in this day & age BT/Plusnet can't come up with something decent in the first place so WE don't have to go a looking.
So the 3 I am looking at are:
TP-LINK N600 TL-WDR3600
TP-LINK AC750
ASUS RT-N56U
Which one would be your weapon of choice out of that lot.
Cheers.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Best choice is go with Openreach Modem but you can buy router that support fibre in WAN port will be ok. I am using Openreach Modem with my Netgear DGND3700v2 as it will work with fibre using WAN port as the wifi on Netgear is better than Plusnet Router.
I used to have Asus DSL-N66U as it pretty fair ok but very complicated to set up VDSL. Photo below of my Asus before I sent it back to pcworld because it cause max rate lower, downstream snr lower and more errors. So, it always best to have openreach modem as Plusnet kept telling me if any fault or problem, u need openreach modem for BT to investigated the fault.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: westbusker
Find the whole thing bizarre that in this day & age BT/Plusnet can't come up with something decent in the first place so WE don't have to go a looking.

Theres a list here of possible solutions Combined VDSL modem/routers
The big problem here is that only a few short months ago you would be looking at £150 and upwards to buy a combined VDSL modem router with GbE.  There is a shortage of choice for VDSL routers as they dont come cheap.
Zyxel was the first to do one at around the £100 mark with the VMG8324..  problem being they are now like gold dust and very hard to get hold of.  Eirecom use these branded as F1000 and it is possible to unlock them (see my forum if you want details on that.
Any of the sub £100 routers seem to cut back on something - normally GbE as these units require a faster or dual processors to be able to cope with the traffic throughput.
Where TP-Link has the edge is that they have managed to do this.  Its possibly a good choice for those on a budget who dont give a toss about things like stats and dsl performance..  and there are plenty that dont. 
For my own use (and other geeky types) we expect more.  In my own personal opinion the latest BCM chipset based routers have the edge when it comes to DSL performance.
For £80 you currently have little choice. 
- Stick on a TG589vn v3  or Billion BiPAC 8200NL and use a separate Gb switch
- Get hold of an F1000 and unlock it (dmcdonnell will unlock them for you if you cant do it yourself)
- The TP-Link TD W-9980 which doesnt perform as well as the BCM based routers.

The reason Plusnet possibly doesnt supply one is they're in the same boat.  Id hate them to use the HH5. 
Its only recently that VDSL routers other than the Fritzbox & DrayTek started to become available  -  I wouldnt mind though if they did what Eirecom did and purchase in bulk from Zyxel.