Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New vdsl Modem

westbusker
Grafter

New vdsl Modem

Hello friends,
I have just ordered fibre broadband for the first time & I am switching from Sky Broadband standard ADSL.
I know I have a few weeks to wait before it goes live so I have done a bit of research on the kit that plusnet will provide.
I don't really want 2 boxes (1 modem,1 router) plus I want gigabit ports on my router & good wireless coverage.
So I am going to take the plunge & order one if these: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TD-W9980
That won't be in stock for a few more weeks.
I will need some assistance in setting this baby up, especially vdsl side of things. Who do I ask ?Huh
Cheers.
83 REPLIES 83
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: New vdsl Modem

You might find this http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13898.0 useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

westbusker
Grafter

Thank MisterW, I will check that info out.
What do you guys think to this kit, worth getting & letting you know how I get on with it ?
Not too many single box solutions that are under £100, in fact it's £70 at broadbandbuyer, well if it's get's into stock, none in the UK at the moment.
I know BT Broadband are now offering new customers a new single box solution, will Plusnet ever do the same ?
Cheers.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Do you have the correct socket to accept fibre?
westbusker
Grafter

Hello tijara33,
Do you mean on the wall or on the new modem/router ?
I have not even gone live yet so BT have not been to put a nice new socket on the wall, which it will need.
The router has 1 RJ11 Port, that is the correct type is it not ?Huh
Cheers,
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

These look pretty good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymsa4Rth0aA but if broadband is any fault problem, then BT and PN will not support this. U have to put your openreach modem back on during fault.
westbusker
Grafter

Hello goldenfibre
Yes on paper they do look good don't they.
It's a shame plusnet don't offer these preconfigured so BT just put a new socket/faceplate, plug in this bad boy & leave.
I am sure new customers would pay extra at point of ordering between one of these & the standard router offering which I hear are not very good.
whothehekami

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Good bargain price £58.98 with free delivery (NEW).
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Due to the unique way the Amazon search engine is coded, that link actually takes you to the 8980 ADSL2+ router, not the 9980
avatastic
Grafter

I'm sure I read on a link off this thread (or one of the threads linked) that a 8980 can be flashed to 9980 as it's the same hardware and the 8980 is just firmware crippled to keep out any VDSL2 stuff.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

You did, it's in my link to the kitz forum
Quote from: MisterW
You might find this http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13898.0 useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

westbusker
Grafter

pwatson, you got there before me
Yes your right they are 2 different routers
avatastic, mind you I also read somewhere about the 8980 & 9980 being the same hardware, so god knows. If I find the link I will post it.
As you may know I have just ordered plusnet fibre with an install date 25/09
They have just sent me 2 of those Technicolour Routers, 2!! I did not really want 1!  Wink
westbusker
Grafter

MisterW, you got there before me as wel!! Grin
Your guy's are to quick for me.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

PN must be mistaken sent u two hardware fibre router, better sent one back otherwise they might charged you if they find out they sent u two router by mistake. I brought my own Netgear DGND3700v2 and it work pretty well with FTTC. But, of course this Netgear router is connected with Openreach Modem.