cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user with 'limited access'

y2kinder
Dabbler

New user with 'limited access'

Hi everyone, hoping I can get some help here.
I've just switched over from TalkTalk to plusnet and have set my router up, but my laptop has no internet access.
The strange thing is, I can connect with my iPhone and iPad (using it to post this) with no problems, and my laptop works when hooked up with the Ethernet cable, it just seems to be over WiFi.
I've checked the router settings and WiFi is enabled, channel is auto and SSID and key are correct, so maybe it is the advanced settings or laptop that is the problem?  Undecided
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New user with 'limited access'

Hi and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
Have you ever set your laptop to a fixed IP address rather than leaving it to get an address via DHCP perhaps?
y2kinder
Dabbler

Thanks for the welcome! Smiley
Yes I have a static IP set up on my laptop but it worked fine with my previous router.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your previous router may well have used different IP address setting for your local network.
I believe the PN router uses the 192.168.1.xxx range and the gateway (router IP address) is 192.168.1.254.  Try changing your laptop address appropriately, eg to 192.168.1.250 and changing the gateway if needed.
y2kinder
Dabbler

I've just fixed it, changed the DNS settings to match the router and all is working properly!
Thanks for taking the time to help  Cheesy
y2kinder
Dabbler

For some reason I now have internet on my laptop but can't connect to my iPad or iPhone, and can't access my router at 192.168.1.254 - what is going on? I've only been with plusnet 1 day and I'm already getting a headache.  Embarrassed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
This is nothing to do with PlusNet, rather a consequence of the way you have chosen to configure your PC / home network.  I rather suspect that the iDevices are obtaining their network addresses - correctly - via DHCP.
Setting fixed IP addresses in devices is never an ideal approach.  All devices should use DHCP to obtain their network address and other services details.
If you need a device to have a static address, unless you are sure you know what you are doing, that is best done by reserving addresses in the router's DHCP configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

y2kinder
Dabbler

I don't know why that would mean I can't access the router through my browser, I haven't changed any settings and the Default Gateway in Command Prompt still says it's 192.168.1.254.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: y2kinder
I've just fixed it, changed the DNS settings to match the router and all is working properly!

You've changed something somewhere.
What are the settings on your PC?
Do you know how to launch a command prompt?  If yes, please do a ipconfig /all command and post the results here.
Edit:  back on a proper computer...
Click START and in the SEARCH box type 'cmd' and you'll see something like the first attachment - click cmd.exe
That launches a "DOS" prompt - type 'ipconfig /all' - the results will be something like the second attachment.

Look for lines like those highlighted.
DHCP enable should be YES
The IPv4 address should be 192.168.1.xxx
The DHCP server, Default Gateway and the DNS Server should all be 192.168.1.254 - if the are not, this is the first point of issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

y2kinder
Dabbler

Hello,
I reset my router over night and can now access the router gateway so glad that is fixed, I still can't connect to my iPad, iPhone, PS4 or 3DS.
Here are my results from cmd:

Windows IP Configuration
  Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop
  Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan
Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:
  Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-29-AF-42-2F-AD
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-29-AF-42-2F-AD
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a09a:c159:c20:1dff%7(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 12 June 2015 09:51:30
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 June 2015 09:51:30
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 125053359
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-FC-E4-F2-EC-B1-D7-D9-AC-D0
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-29-AF-42-2F-AE
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EC-B1-D7-D9-AC-D0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
That all looks fine, aside from the "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" entry which says it is disconnected.  This is a configuration I am not familiar with.
The other settings all look fine.  Can you please confirm that device has full access to the internet and to the router?
When you say...
I still can't connect to my iPad, iPhone, PS4 or 3DS.

Exactly what do you mean?
Do these devices successfully connect to the internet?
Do you mean that they will not (in whatever way - iTunes?) connect to the laptop?  If this is what you mean, then I would suspect AV / firewall settings on the laptop.  What AV / firewall software are you using?
Reading between the lines, I'd guess in the past your home network was 192.168.0.x and now it is 192.168.1.x and your laptop is not "trusting" connections on that sub-net.
Sorry, but this stuff is all a bit technical.

y2kinder
Dabbler

My iPad can get internet on the browser but it is unbearably slow and I can't get apps to work as the connection just times out.
I've noticed on my router the DNS is set to auto and uses 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 whice is different to what I posted above, but if I change this manually to 192.169.1.254 to match I lose internet connection on everything.
I've set the PN firewall to off and I'm using McAfee but even turning that off doesn't change anything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

192.169.1.254 to match I lose internet connection on everything.

I trust that was a typo and you meant 168 ?
That said this is where you've started to go wrong.  Please do not change these settings in the router.  To explain...
Your router (192.168.1.254) supplies a DNS proxy service to all of your local devices.  The router uses PlusNet's DNS services (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) to look up addresses it does not know.
This configuration negates the necessity for your devices to "call out" all they way to PlusNet for resolution of names already performed.
Do you know how to check the network settings on the iPad?
iPads can be problematic in some WiFi environments; I find that mine in one particular part of the house can be temperamental - turning it 90 degrees makes a massive difference.  It could be that the new router is clashing with other wifi networks.  You can "see" what other nearby networks there are and which channel they are using by using a tool such as inSIDDer V3.
By turning off the PN firewall, do you mean the one in the user portal?  Turning off the firewall on the router and / or the laptop is not a wise move.
Check which networks McAfee is treating as "secure" - remove anything which is not 192.168.1.0
Update: This might be relevant - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1434107199.htm

y2kinder
Dabbler

Yes that was a typo, oops!
I've reset the router so the settings are back to normal, I've turned the PN firewall off but kept McAfee on so I am still protected.
Thanks for the link, hopefully that is the problem. I'll leave it a while and see if it improves.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I've turned the PN firewall off but kept McAfee on so I am still protected.

I should have said before, that firewalls are more about of preventing INBOUND connections.  Though they can be used to inhibit outbound connections, it is unlikely that firewall settings are generally affecting your devices connecting out to the internet - look at the wifi angle.
On the laptop, firewall settings could inhibit the iPad and other local devices connecting INTO the laptop - setting your network to be a trusted home network with McAfee should fix that, if that is the cause of the problems.