Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - very poor connection

FIXED
JGJ
Fixes: 1

New user - very poor connection

My daughter has just moved house and has signed up with Plusnet, which worked very well in her previous flat in Canary Wharf. She has a Plusnet 582n router connected through a Plusnet microfilter into the BT socket, and no other devices connected apart from a corded phone in the same microfilter. The phone line gives a clear dial tone and the router connects to broadband with a steady green light. She uses an iPad and iPhone via wifi. However, internet connectivity is practically non-existent - we can access the plus.net website but it is very slow and erratic, and there is no connectivity at all to other websites. When first accessing the plus.net site it said something to the effect that 'we just need a few more details from you' and asked for her username and password, and then said we were clear to access the internet, but we couldn't. We tried over several hours yesterday afternoon. I suppose it's conceivable that there is some wiring fault in the house, but it's only 6 years old and the previous owner had internet access.

Sorry to raise this in a public forum, but we couldn't get through to Plusnet support despite hanging on the line for over 30 minutes, and there seems to be no other way of logging a fault.

Regards, John

4 REPLIES 4
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: New user - very poor connection

Hi John,

Sorry to hear of the problems your daughter is experiencing. Could you drop me a private message with the account username so I can take a look and see what might be causing this for you?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Has she moved to rural area with slower speeds perhaps?
Can she change her wifi channel as may be congestion around her?
Use free s/ware such as insiderSSID to check local wifi conditions, and select a channel accordingly.

Never used an Apple device so can't advice how to change channels in Macland.

Check her phone line's speed capability @: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

JGJ

Gel, thanks for your suggestions. The house is inside the M25 so hopefully the line speed will be OK. Chris responded very quickly and is on the case, and I hope that we will have the problem resolved soon. I'll post an update when we do.

Regards, John

JGJ

Fix

The problem is now fixed - it turned out that the router, which my daughter had used in a previous property, had the wrong username and password in it. When we updated this, everything worked perfectly. Thanks to Chris for diagnosing the problem.

Regards, John