cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user, teething problems

pjd1001

New user, teething problems

Hello all,
I have recently changed providers, from tiscali to plusnet. I am now wireless for teh first time. When setting up the router I kept the existing filters and cables and connected to the wireless router. After going through the setup smoothly enough the following problems have occurred and any help would be gratefully recieved.
1. I have set up my wireless router, and am getting 54mbs on my laptop! Downside is, I 'm getting "page not found" on all websites I try to view. Any ideas on what to do?
2. I have connected my desktop pc to the router via the ethernet cable but It won't connect. Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance
Phil
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New user, teething problems

Can you confirm that this is with the Plusnet supplied Speedtouch 585v7 or is it some other router.
Are all the lights on the router green
Have you set up the router with your user details
paulby
Grafter

As Jim said, are your user details entered correctly into the router?  The most common mistake is to forget the @plusdsl.net part of the username.  You need to enter your username into the router in the form username@plusdsl.net  Also remember that the password is the same as you use to log into the Plusnet Member Centre.

Have you got any firewalls running on your PCs?
If so, have you made sure that your network (as it's a new router your firewall may see it as a new network) is in the "trusted" or "home" zones (or similar).
To see if it is a firewall issue, try *temporarily* disabling your firewalls on your PCs and see if you can then connect.
pjd1001

Hello Jim,
Yes, it is the Plusnet 585v7. All the lights are solid green and I have set it up with my user details.
Many thanks
Phil
paulby
Grafter

Another thought - for the desktop.  Was your Tiscali connection via a router or USB modem?
If it was using a USB modem you should firstly uninstall any software related to the modem.  You should then open Internet Explorer and go to the Tools menu and select "Internet Options".
On the connections tab make sure that "never dial a connection" is selected.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How did you set up the router - was it from the laptop or the desktop.
If you put this in your browser http://192.168.1.254 what is the result
pierre_pierre
Grafter

also the 54 M is not to the internet, it is to other machines on the router and is the sum of out and ingoing traffic
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@pjd1001, checking at this side I can see a few short connections registered on Thursday/Friday evening, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon/evening. The longest  of these sessions was just over 2 hours.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵