cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - slow speeds and poor service

GJB26

New user - slow speeds and poor service

Hi, we had our Plusnet broadband and phone activated yesterday after switching from a different provider. Once the connected the speed for pages to load etc. have been really slow and the Internet keeps dropping out (on devices but the lights stay as they are on the router).

A speed test returns 8-9 Mbps but in reality they are nowhere near this. 4G is faster than this connection at the moment.

We've followed the trouble shooting guide and the only thing we're not doing is connecting the router to the master socket as this is not convenient for the wired connection we need. We didn't use the master socket with our previous supplier and had no issues.

Does it take a few days for the service to run as normal? My other half has rung customer services who have said that there are no issues at their end.

If things don't change then the service is unusable and we'll have to look at cancelling it.

We had no issues like this with our previous provider. Plusnet as a service provider and the equipment used are the only differences.

Can anyone offer any help or advice?
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: New user - slow speeds and poor service

@GJB26 Welcome to the forum.

First be aware that you have just 14 days after you sign up to Plusnet, not the 'go live' day, to cancel if you are to avoid large cancellation costs.

It sounds like you may have wireless problems. Which hub do you have, a Hub Zero(2704N)  for ADSL or Hub One for Fibre?

Be aware that the HUb One wireless is pretty poor. Do you have another modem/router supplied by your previous ISP. Some, especially BT ones can be used on the Plusnet service and tend to be better. If you let us know what you have got further advice will be forthcoming.

Not using the master socket for your router is not recommended if you want the best performance.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GJB26

Hi @Baldrick1 and thank you for the reply.

We have the ASDL hub zero. We're in a rural location so no fibre yet and the 8-9 Mbps is what I'd expect.

Previously we had Sky and had the Sky Q Hub. I don't know if that can be used with Plusnet or not.

I can try using the master socket but currently we have it connected to a secondary socket near the television so that I can use an ether net cable for the PS4 (for streaming etc.)
GJB26

Further to my reply earlier I'm now home so can try a couple of things.

We're currently watching Netflix on the PS4 which is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. This appears to be running fine with no buffeting etc.

However, the WiFi on our phones is still slow and does keep dropping out. When it does drop there are no changes to the lights on the router and the PS4 doesn't seem to be affected.

Does this suggest an issue with the WiFi/router as opposed to the connection itself?
GJB26

I think I may have resolved this now.
Last night after further issues I swapped the Plusnet microfilter for our old Sky one. Almost immediately load times improved and connectivity has been stable since. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days but hopefully this is sorted now.